Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I posted a message a few days ago consider selling my 68 cat, and want to thank everyone who replied. I sat down and thought long and hard about the idea of selling her, and I think everyone was right, I would kick myself in the ass for selling her. SO I figured it's time to take her off the road, get myself a beater for the time being, and save up some money so i can start fixing her up.

Now, I have a few questions I'd like to ask if that's ok. :1zhelp: First, I really like the idea of putting a 351w under the hood. Now I have some expierence rebuilding engines, in highschool i took two years of career preparation automotive classes. I rebuilt a 289 for a 66 mustang. Obviously it's been some time since I last tinkered with engines, so my question is, are there any engine rebuilding / interior manuals that you guys would recommend and where could I find one. Secondly, a fellow co-worker owns two dead vehicles, ( i forgot what she told me they were) but she was certain that they were 351w because her boyfried was going to rebuild them himself. anyways to make a long story short, she said I could have one for $100. :1zhelp: My question is, are there any identification marks on the engine somewhere so that I can tell if it is in fact a 351w?

I have refered to most of the posts regarding the 302 to 351 swap, and I have taken many notes.

Thanks guys! this site rocks!

cheers
:beer:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I had to take the one valve cover off when I was checking if I had a 289 or 302, don't know of any other way.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
351w's have a wider intake manifold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Its great to hear that you aren't selling your Cat. I will be dropping a 351W bored and stroked to a 393 or 408 in my 68. A 351W is also taller too. Good luck with your Cougar!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts