Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the deal with the signboards at car shows and auctions that are always displayed at floor level?

For Scottsdale, I have the Elite Marti Report and then I also have a pretty simple sign with many bullet points about GTEs and Gunner, specifically. Some are redundant points I've already posted on the car's summary for the catalog, but they are important points (GT-E engine/package specs, the first GT-E at Major public Auction, one of 357, the last Sideoiler in a Ford, etc, etc..)

A lot of the Barrett Jackson Cars have a whole crapload of documents on the dash or in the back window..I hate that look, but is this done to keep the clutter away from the ailes and invite people closer to the cars to take a better look? A lot of people put documents right on the side windows and leave them up, too. I think the better look is windows down (to invite interior viewers) and clutterd down, again..

I made the sign (so far) pretty reasonably sized (18x24 in a classy simple black frame) and also want to display the Elite report and maybe an electronic picture frame with hundreds of rolling pics..Should I put this "up" on an Easel, or keep it low with maybe the Marti Report on top of my sign and the picture frame up at Eye level (or Chest level)?

Do people put the signs low so that they don't block the view of cars? Is that a courtesy thing? Or is it to avoid them crashing down to the floor? It just seems a bit tough to look down, usually, and I certainly hate it when the signs are down below the bumper right up against the car..what's the protocal here and what do you all think I should "build" to display this stuff?

A big White board with the two signs hangin' on it has been suggested, and I like that idea..I also have to hang a couple or few Johnny Lightning GTEs..but I don't know if I need to keep it all low and unobtrusive, or if that is even a concern..

Thanks for any thoughts,

B

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In the Indy area TV the past few days they have been showing this PAST Jan auction again, and you might check to see it such is still playing in your area. If it is, then watching might give you some answers. Just a thought......

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
A big easel might be a good idea until some jackass tips it over on your car and scratches the paint. :uhoh:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I have found large signs get knocked over. Either by wind or by people so what ever you choose take as much care as you can to choose something that won't damage the GTE in anyway should it get knocked over. Just my 2cents.... I am keeping my fingers crossed the your car will do very well !

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
At car shows, I hate all the miscellaneous stuff people put all over their cars. Let the car be the star not all the toys, stuffed animals and unnecessary paperwork.

However, you're trying to sell the car so this venue is different. I'd avoid all the toy cars but the Marti Report and other pertinant details on the car and its restoration should be presented for potential buyers to browse through. Signboards are a good way to do that but if you choose this route, I would avoid using any materials that could scratch the car when bumped by inconsiderate gawkers. Displaying things down low helps avoid them being blown over but doesn't eliminate the aforementioned gawkers from knocking it over.

·
Registered
980 Posts
All you really need is two signs.... 1) People with money, stand here. 2) Idiots without money and stupid questions, stand here. Place sign #2 far away from you.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an FYI here..I didn't mention that the car will be BEHIND the ropes (or little white plastic chain)..so I'll have to invite folks in to the area to even approach the car. That will do a lot to protect things ;) My plan with the the Johnny lightning Cars is just to peak interest, and if a MultiMillionaire is expressing genuine interest..they'll get one. I will hang one from the keys in the ignition, too..

It makes sense to have things low for safety under "outdoor" conditions, but..

I'll also have a hard-copy photo album to personally show people, but the specifics on engine build and specs are going to be given mostly by word of mouth. Only so much can be displayed without it becoming a clusterscrew around the car..The rolling electronic frame will be a good way to let folks browse without having to touch anything..it could be strategically placed beind the ropes too.

Thanks for the thoughts as always!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
OR you could simply hire Jill Wagner to stand in front of your car….That is my suggestion.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Jim's idea is good, but if you take Joe's advice you may wind up with an extra wheelbarrow full of cash.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As much as I like the idea of the trunk for a platform, though..It is behind a rope/chain..so the spectators would all have to be "invited" to come through it to the car..that can be good or bad. I am also not a fan of an open trunk and hood at shows, but realize that people will want to see everything ;)

A mix might be in order. Sometimes a little variety is nice..the car sure looks best with everything buttoned up, but at least the hood lines against the fenders will look great when it is up!

·
11,000 Posts
Main thing is to be polite to everyone, no matter how scruffy looking or rude they are. You need to impress TWO or more bidders into battling for your car. They are going to judge the car, and they are going to judge you. You have to impress them that you have a car worth all of their money.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Main thing is to be polite to everyone, no matter how scruffy looking or rude they are. You need to impress TWO or more bidders into battling for your car. They are going to judge the car, and they are going to judge you. You have to impress them that you have a car worth all of their money.
Excellent advice!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Floor level for your sign should be perfect. The car will attract the buyers. The additional info will be there to close the deal. Somewhere on the sign put your cell phone # for immediate contact if they need to talk to you before the auction!!!! I saw the preview on the B-J site and you did a fantastic job Brian. I will be there to watch you and that car kick a$$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts