Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Anyone using one of these?

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/Ford_67-70_Mustang.html

Interested in what problems there might be. I still have shock towers in the car
A little pricey at $875 plus shipping with a line set. BTW, the page quotes the system as fitting in place of a Midland booster (shorter as I recall) but points to a picture of a Bendix booster, I would want to know which is correct before I relied on what could be incorrect info.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The one that is on my HD GMC truck leaks like a sieve somehow...? I haven't figured out how but I keep getting puddles of brake juice on the floor...? Appears to be interanal and coming down through the firewall. The good news is it still stops OK until I track it down - it's gonna be a mother to get it out!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Leon,

I wrote them about the inconsistency on booster, they wrote back that they changed the picture to show a Midland as they intended. However, the two look about the same dimensionally, they mentioned the spacer for the Bendix unit (which I am well aware of). The Midland did not use a spacer? Guess that would make the Midland about 3/4" shorter if they are the same length otherwise.

The thing that I (still) don't get is the car (firewall to shock tower dimension) would be the same regardless of booster, so what booster the car had previously should not matter. I didn't want to annoy them so I did not follow this line of reasoning up with them.

Anyway, it is still way too expensive IMO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Car Craft magizine (earlier this year) shows how to use a hydraulic booster off of a Chevy Astro van. They picked up the unit for $50.00 and welded the bracket from the old booster. The units are quite popular on street rods.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's a good idea --- if you guys have any of those laying around down under? Any newer HD Chevy/GMC should have similar.

·
11,000 Posts
Midland boosters use a spacer vent between the master cylinder and the booster.

Bendix do not.

Dimensionally and functionally they are identical if the spacer thickness is included.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Lots of domestics use the hydro-boost braking system now. IIRC, '05-up GT Mustangs do as well. What goes around comes around. My old '77 Country Squire (LTD wagon) had the hydro-boost braking system and 4-wheel disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
As I recall the hydra-boost brakes came on late 60s/early 70s T-Birds. I seem to recall seeing some in junk yards. I like this idea - will have to keep my eyes out for those Mustangs in the yards.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Midland boosters use a spacer vent between the master cylinder and the booster.

Bendix do not.

Dimensionally and functionally they are identical if the spacer thickness is included.
What about the spacer on the firewall side of the booster, Bendix has one, Midland ???

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can build your own hydrobooster setup for less than half what they charge. Sure you wont have their fancy firewall mount, but you could fab something up that works just as good.
I did this for my Bronco for less than $300.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts