Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice 68 standard Cougar that was"restored" around 1980. The new owners at the time decided they didnot like the exterior or interior colors and decided to have this changed whilehaving the car renewed. Whoever they had do the work did a nice job but at thesame time they "upgraded" several items. They changed the exteriorLime Frost Green to a brilliant blue and reupholstered the Ivy Green and Ivoryinterior with a two tome blue cloth. They also put in a later model Mercurytilt steering column and a 68 XR-7 dash.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Although the cloth interior is in nice shape I really likethe Decor interior that the car originally came with but in the two tone blue.So this now begs me to question how best to handle the dash. Leave it as iswhich I like or work towards putting a standard dash back in. I'm not lookingto make a restoration out of this but I also want to make sure that in the longhaul I don't make a decision that would drastically reduce the value of the cardown the road. I may end up keeping this car for quite a while or I could see it as a stepping stone towards a 68 with a little more engine or a true XR-7. I just don't know.

Any sage advice to consider?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would do whatever you like best, but be sure to keep all the parts required to change it towards a true restoration for someone down the road if wanted. I would love the tilt steering column!

I have a little of the same deal - base 68 but I found a XR7 parts car. I have the upgraded performance anti-sway bar in there! haha! I also swaped the power steering array (same stuff I think) and the rear leaf springs. For me, the cost to do a complete resto wasn't in the wallet at the time.

For what it's worth, my base Cougar is blue with a white vinyl top. The interior is the same blue down the center of the seats with white vinyl otherwise. So that color scheme is perfectly fine as a base Cougar (if it's the same?).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts