Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe someone out ther can help me out. I have a 70 XR7 Conv. with a 351 & 4 speed. I have the original window sticker and it has my transmission option as:

"4-speed Manual Hurst Shifter"

Production numbers show that the 351 2v came with Close Ratio & Standard Ratio 4-speeds.

Here are my questions:

1) Did all 4 speeds come with Hurst Shifters?

2) If not, does the Hurst shifter mean it was for a close ratio 4 speed.

3) If not not, how do I find out which 4-Speed that I have. My door data plate is no-longer on the car and I want to know if I have a close ratio or standard ratio tranny?

Any facts would be great!! Thanks.

Zoli:p:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I believe the close ratio was an option and would show on you sticker. You could get a report on your car and that should tell you..

Bruce

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yes, Marty autoworks will sell you the "marty report" and it should have the info. You can get the numbers off the tranny (RUG- ), and that will also tell you close or wide ratio. Either one is nice to have. 69 cougars with manual tranny's typically came with ford shifters/linkage and knob. 70 4-speed cougars usually came with the Hurst linkage and therefore the Hurst shifter and handle.
Since you're 70 XR-7 convertible is a rare car with the 4-speed and 2bbl cleveland engine, I would suggest that you restore it to original condition ( no eliminator clone or color change) , and while you are getting the "MARTY REPORT" from Kevin Marty, you should purchase the handbook; "cougars by the numbers". This handbook will tell you how many 70 cougars were made with your exact options and the rarity. Not many Cougars left in the universe. Take care and get the book and report first.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
All 70 Cougars that have a 4 speed got the Hurst shifter, not 69's though.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I thought I said that???
However, some late 69 4-speeds did have the Hurst linkage but they were few..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Zoli,

Delmarva Cougar Club members have two of the 70 XR7 convertibles with 4 speeds, and we know of another one owned by a parts vendor in Western Maryland - his is unusual in that it was a disc-brake delete car so it has all drums. Both of the 4 speeds in our club are long-term projects, and both are 4V with close ratio. One is mine, and one belongs to Charles Popenoe. What kind of condition is yours in? Have you had it long? My door tag is also long gone. Charles and I both got Marti reports and I recommend it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the info guys. I didn't know Marti offered anything more tahn what I received from Lois Eminger. She sent me the window sticker or invoice. I'll contact Kevin Marti for that info then.

I know waht you mean on rarity Cougrrman, I do have the production numbers on the car & it is 1 of 60 351 2V with 4speed XR7 Ragtops if it really is a non-close ratio tranny. My future problem is exactly what you said though. It currently is a Eliminator look car & it actually loooks pretty cool & I'm torn when I repaint it in a couple years on going back to stock or leaving the eliminator look. I've got time to think on this one. Thanks again.

Zoli

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks pretty damn good!! Tuff call. If you leave it as is you can always put it back to original way down the line.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Oh Yeah!

70ELIMN8TR said:
Looks pretty damn good!! Tuff call.

I agree!
I have an E-cat I wished looked that good...
Someday it will, but not right now.
My cat was produced April 22,1969--five days behind schedule--and it has the Hurst shifter. I do not know if it is original however because the Eminger report, the Marti report, nor the build sheet has it listed? How many 69's and how documented?
shane:D

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Your Wheels?

Hey Zogman....that is one SWEET Cat. Looks very good....and I love the wheels. What size are they and did you have any trouble stuffin them under the back end? Are those Eagles?

Just curious....was looking at some 17" today and was wondering what they would look like on a cat.

Thanks

Dale

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i saw that car when i was going to Chilis last weekend. but i showed up as it was leaving lol. killer looking car though. looks bad ass hauling down the street too. :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dale & Steve,
Thanks for the compliments. The wheels have definetely been a great addidtion. Wheels in the back are 17" x 9.5" and the fronts are 17" x 8". The tires are Kumho and they are pretty decent especially since they are affordable. Eagles are way to pricey.

It all fits in there pretty good. Be real carefull on the offset. I was lucky because I was able to mount a wheel with a tire in before they welded the rims. I kind of wish I would have given the rears another 1/2" of backspacing. My leaf springs are weak and when I get a full tank of gas or a couple people in the back seat they rub just a hair. I folded the rear fender lips in to help out. I'm sure it will get better when I put some new leaf springs in. Sorry I missed you Steve. Thanks again.

Zoli

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Cudos. A very nice looking cat but if you decide to keep it the way it is then I suggest you begin acquiring the parts and info to bring it back to original so that if you ever want to restore it or decide to sell it you will have everything you need to "bring it back".
This would be a big plus in the future. 1 of 60 means it is fairly rare and worth putting back to original. Besides, pastel blue with a white top is a nice combo. Take care and have fun cruising this summer. Hope to see you at some of the car shows..

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Zogman,
Very sweet looking Cat! :D As for how to paint it, heres my $0.02... If your planning on selling it sometime in the fairly near future, go original. If your planning on keeping it, Paint It However YOU Want It And Scr*w Everyone Else, ITS YOUR CAR and your the one who'll look at it every day!!! :lol2: My theory is, its not worth a penny until someone hands you the money for it, so dont worry about that!!!
Its beautiful the way it is.
Scott

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
My thing is this its your car and it isnt that rare or collectible. it is a origanal 2v. restoring it to origanal would actually make it worth less IMHO since keep in mind rare cars such as gte's or eliminators in 302 are extremely small numbers with highly wanted engine configurations. Just because it is a low number does not necisarily make it worth more. Yes it is a 4 speed vert and that is something but a good looking eliminator clone will bring more with a nice engine combo like putting in a 351 4v or 428 would add more to the price tag. 70 verts are small productions anyways and you have one of around 1900 i am guesing guys so dont bang me on the numbers and add 2322 of the standard cougars it is still one of around 4000. this is not a low number and in the 70 vert the ones to get are the 428cj are the highest paid (see barret jackson). my point is that yes they may not of made many sticks but that was true throughout the cougar line but since its a 2v clevland this diminishes the value to a coloctor. my vote is keep the baby as an elim and have fun, you will definatly get more looks at shows especially getting it from the guys who come up and tell you they bought one straight from the factory new just like this! enjoy and remember its your car do what feels good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts