Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spray painted some things last night. Thought they would be alright. Today the humidity has been right around 85 to 90 percent all day and in the 90's. Everything I painted seems gummy or tacky. Will this take care of itself if I leave them alone or am I going to have to strip and redo these parts?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
What did you paint the parts with? Spray can,base/clear? Painting parts with that high of a humidity is no good.I say let em sit for a day or 2 if they are are still tacky/gummy then you gotta start all over,

thanks
pat

·
Registered
669 Posts
yep, what did you spray with? Shouldn't be an issue. Shops in South Florida spray all day long in high heat and humidity from late May to October. If it was spray can, then it may not feel dry for a day.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was spray grey from Eastwood. I had primed the parts first with self etching primer. Spray can, yup. I haven't even got this down right let alone ready to try the real stuff!

·
Registered
389 Posts
every time i have pulled that stunt and wind up with tacky finishes, i have to remove the paint and start all over...seems once its gummy like that, it never cures right...and sanding it off just makes a gummy mess...ive had to scrape it off and even throw some things away...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
NO, you won't have to THROW AWAY any parts. If they don't dry, take thinner on a soaked rag and have at it. Read the instructions on the Eastwood product for what thinner to use, LACQUER THINNER or MINERAL SPIRTS.

It's NOT the end of the world. Small parts you can soak in pan of thinner to speed process.

Don't give up, take a deep breath, and even walk away from the project for a day or so, work on something else, then come back to it.

YOU WILL WIN.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dale, yeah I am not into throwing stuff away for sure. these are all smaller metal parts. I will give them a couple of days then might have to strip them down and start over. Hope not but would rather go that route and get them right. This morning humidity at 9 am is already 90 percent! Won't be much drying today. A couple of the parts actually got the finish ruined as the paint was tacky enough little bugs got in it! Those will have to be sanded and redone at the very least. These parts had been media blasted and I was worried about them stating to rust, at least I don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had that happen to me with some other stuff, felt tacky two days later...I know that this will sound idiotic....but, I tried to spray the dust off of them that had collected on them from sitting in the garage and for some reason that cold hose water seemed to harden the paint and I let them sun dry and that day I was able to pick them up and no more tacky paint.....timing maybe or did the cold water do it???? I don't know.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I spray painted some things last night. Thought they would be alright. Today the humidity has been right around 85 to 90 percent all day and in the 90's. Everything I painted seems gummy or tacky. Will this take care of itself if I leave them alone or am I going to have to strip and redo these parts?
Is a terrible mix..

Sorry for the trouble, Harvey. Usually it shows a "haze" or white/chalky look when I have too much moisture in the air, but it is usually cool here when that happens.

If you have a jet heater or the like..it works well to really blast parts with heat for a good-while right previous to a spray painting. Sunshine won't hurt either. Heat drives away moisture and really helps paint set up well. And of course cleanliness with Acetone or the like.

Heat heat heat and dry is good..

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
If you can wait till the night time do it then when there is alot less humidity.Do it inside your garage, put a window fan near the door and paint away.What i do is crack the garage door, then take cardboard and put it where it stops the bugs and keep the fan going till your done painting.Humidity is always been a problem on painting, i`m painting my 2001 this fall cause right now its just to hot to paint and the humidity as well.

thanks
Pat

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well today most of the parts feel and look alright. The last six pieces that i did are still gummy and four of the six are the ones that the bugs got into! Those will have to be redone. The other two I am waiting to see what the sun can do for me. I moved the parts outside into the sun just to see. The next couple of days I have to take the wife on a trip so she can golf in Boyne City. Then I can get back at it. By then I will have my parts from WCCC too.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Are you spraying thick? That may also be part of the problem. Solvents take longer to come out if the paint is laid on thick. Try thinner coats. Easier to add it on than take it off.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah. when it's humid like this you have to watch out for that. I put things in direct sunlight immediately after spraying and it works pretty good.....thinner coats is a must too, it should take 2 coats to get a good finnish (after the first coat drys good)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may have been putting it on a little thick? Not sure but the sun and being gone for two days did the trick. Parts feel fine now and they will have another day before I have time to mess with them. I do have to strip and redo a few of them as I did those at night in the barn. I think that was my problem. The lights in the barn and the smell drew little bugs that got all over the paint. Looked like it had the measles or something so many bugs! Other than that stuff did eventually dry.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have done a lot of RATTLE can painting on small parts, and have learned to READ the label before buying. I first look at what it says about RECOAT TIMES, if it says, WITHIN AN HOUR, or AFTER 24 HOURS, well I try to stay away from using that brand. I also always spray an extra piece of scrap, so that I can recoat, or spay clear to assure no issues pop up. I like sprays that say, RECOAT ANYTIME.

I went on a tour of a high end custom shop, and I asked the owner, " DO YOU EVER USE RATTLE CANS?", and he said ARE YOU KIDDING ME, NO....., well later in the tour we walked by a room and there were dozens and dozens of rattle cans. We all looked at each other like what a liar.

Dale in Indy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts