Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumping to a new thread off of 66_Pony's DGS queries, I have a new question:

How many different wheel covers did Merc make for the cats?!?! I have four at home that I'm reasonably sure are original...
1) a "spoked" version (the spokes are like half-tubes) with Mercury head (that's my favorite, but I only have two and the read paint around the head is gone or faded on both). I've seen this same cover on Mustangs and T-Birds but with different center caps. I've NEVER seen another Mercury one :( I've seen these covers (without the caps or with Mustang caps) for $100 at "Hubcap Annies".

2) a cover that looks spoked but is more or less flat (the chrome er aluminum "spokes" are a bit raised above the black background), with a black ring around a polished aluminum center.

3) a cover like #2 but with "Mercury Cougar" printed on the black ring

4) covers like the "turbine" wheels but... um... less neat? They're the same basic design but plainer, the center isn't as elaborate.

Can anyone tell me if this is it, or if there were more? Or if some of these are not original?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
1)Wheel Cover is right for Cougar but Center is not correct w/ a Mercury Head. Those wheelcovers came w/ a tri bar spinner with a black center with 3 chrome rings inside, or same center w/o the tri bar spinner just a ring.
2)1968 Cougar Cap that Mercury Cougar has been removed and polised or a 1967 polished.
3)1968 Standard Issue
4)Sounds like the DGS hubcap.

I have the 1st type with a tri bar spinner.
Here:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have several original sets of hubcaps for 67-71 std/xr7 etc. most sets very usable for drivers, pretty clean. 65.00-100.00 sets thanks geoff. outback in oklahoma 69-70 eliminators. 351-428-4 spd .918-646-6410 918-869-8879 cell.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hubcaps

The wire ones with the mercury god head could be correct. Those that came from the factory with wire hub caps had the spinner. However, if they were installed as a dealer add on option they would have had the god head. My 68 has the god head hubcaps. The purchase order has them as a dealer add on, as does the window sticker. On top of that I have a picture of the original owner with the car the day he drove it home from the dealership and these are the hubcaps on it (it's a pretty well documented car). So while they are "original", they aren't factory.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I cant stand those spoked things... I would suggest something a little different.

I'll see if I can find a pic of what i suggest

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Waaaay back when I bought AlphaCat, it was wearing a set of 14" Mustang wire wheelcovers. The parts manager at the local Ford dealer offered me a trade I couldn't refuse. He wanted the wires for his soon-to-be-done 68 Mustang convertible, so he offered to trade me a NOS door skin for a 71-73 Cougar. I couldn't get all four wheel covers off fast enough!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I still have a nice set of 1965 14" wire wheel covers for my long gone 64 Falcon Sprint. I ended up putting on Cragar S/S rims. It looked stock, but it had a 289 with a cam and a 4 bbl and somewhat loud dual exhausts. I thought the wires would look out of place on such a modified car.

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Here are few of the wheelcovers Cougars wore in 67 and 68, plus two "dog dish" hubcaps from the early 60s Comets that many opted for instead of the full wheelcover. They looked "COOL" in the 60s. Heck they look cool now too!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Great info Thanks!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My 69 came with a set of the tri-spinner God's Head (center picture). I had heard that they were a dealer option in 68, so maybe I have a left over set. Kinda cool, don't see many like that....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Great information!
Even if I have a 72.:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
CATMAN!!!!

Catman!!!

Please e-mail me if you still have one of those dog dish Comet caps (lower left corner in your pic). I need one for my 66 Comet. Mine is dented. :1zhelp:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So since no one replied when I initially posted this in Jan (first reply is a month later - thanks xr7gt) I didn't read this until just now. Thanks for all of the great information!
Looking at Catman's pics as:
[1 2 3]
[4 5 6]
[7 8 9]
I have 3 (off of donor '67), 4, and 9 exactly as shown, and I have three covers like 1 but with Mercury god head; i.e. Mercury head like #5 but not 3-spoke spinners, just a regular cap.
Right now I have a quasi-stock look (but the tires spin freely) with a mix of #3 and #4 covers. I'll be posting current pics soon, maybe tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts