Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to spam the questions guys but I have a lot of things I have been farting around on with marginal success. I remember the last set of cans I removed from the headlight buckets took a 20 lb sledge and a solid hour of beating them to death.

Is there a correct way to remove these beasties? Seems like the bolt holding them in at the bottom is pressed in or something. I don't have a torch to heat the bucket but maybe thats next.

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

·
Registered
913 Posts
That is only rust holding them in, try some PB blaster let soak and then if that don't work, heat.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tow. I burned through a whole can of WD on the last set. I'll get some more WD on it and try some heat.. sounds like a good combination for a bonfire :)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We did an article for "Legendary Ford Magazine" on how to change those actuators and we also have a "Pre-Andrew" low quality video. We modified a bit for our air hammer to knock the pins out but if you have a rusty car it is a whole different ball game and they are all but impossible to remove while in the car.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to say that wd40 did the trick. Let soak for about 30-45 minutes. Still took some solid beating to get it out (and my car is not even close to rusty) but once it got a little movement with the WD40 on the bolt it popped right out. Happy I'm going to electronic actuators this winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts