Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am going to do a little tech write up on this as I do the work on my 67 project. I have never done a headliner before but I have done a lot of reading. I may try to avoid pulling the rear glass as the seals and glass are in really good shape. I yoinked the front glass and I've pulled the old headliner.

I was wondering if I could avoid putting the sound deadener back in or if that will cause sag in the headliner?

Does anyone have any tricks or experience doing these headliners they would like to share?

My thought was, if I wanted to avoid pulling the rear glass, to test fit first. Line up everything.. Then apply glue to the rear of the headliner and tuck it in at the back and let the glue dry. Then start adding in the bars. Wonder if I need to use the spray glue if I am going to be able to eliminate the sound deadener..

When I get to the front I will wrap the headliner up around the windshield lip and pull tight, apply glue and clamp down while the glue dries.

Once the glue is dry I can align and glue the strips on the side of the windshield.

Sounds like it should be doable but I'm sure a few folks have some feedback on their own experiences :) Please share.

Thnx.

Mark

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't leave out the sound deadener it really helps. I have a friend in the upholstery business and he says to only way to replace the headliner correctly is to pull the front and rear glass. He told me he's redone several headliners because the glass wasn't removed.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know Smag thnx. Since I am doing a full respray as well taking out the rear glass is best I guess. Just hate to see the old girl stripped nekid like that. Oh well :) It's just work right? :)

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Rear gasket can be had for around $30 and it will make the job 50 times easier!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Please take pictures, I will be attempting a headliner in my 1968 soon too.
Ditto on some kind of sound deadener. I was told the same thing by a trim guy.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The rear glass must come out, as others have said. You must start from thr back. The rearmost bow has 2 wire stays to hold it in place so it can't go forward as you pull.

1. Install bows into the new top in keep them in order.

2. Install into car in correct holes (usually rear most holes of the pairs)

3. Clip wire retainers to rear bow.

4. Pull headliner to front of car, and clip it to lip of front windshield
I use small binder clips, cheap and easy to take on & off

5. Starting at the front, pull and clip headliner to body, trim carefully

6. Go panel by panel till you get to the rear, clips as you go.

7. The rear is the most difficult. You must have a very good contact cement, no spray can glue will work here. I get mine from an upholstry shop.

8. Patience here. Hair dryer to warm up the material. The back arear MUST be clean of old glue...

9. You will find it might be worth having a pro do it. It takes me almost a day to do one. I can do vinyl tops quicker, and they are easier!

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+2 to Bill - I used a body adhesive that my paint jobber told me to use. It works very well -- Transtar makes it. I did my 69 without taking the glass out. it's tougher to get the wrinkles out along the edges that way for sure. I found using a putty knife to tuck it in under the rubber works, but you have to be carful not to get your glue smeared on the fron of your fabric! Wipe it off with solvent immediately if you do...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really great info guys. Much appreciated. Not sure I'll tackle it this weekend but I'll probably get the prep done.

I will definitely post once completed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts