Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some help from you guys to help me restore the two 1976 Cougar XR7`s that I recently purchased. The first one is a horrible yellow/green w/green interior,and the second one is white w/green interior. My first question is what do I have to do to take the chrome off? Is there some trick to it? I got them both running but the green one has blown out freeze plugs on the 400 and needs paint/body. The white one has a good straight body but there`s a short in the steering column causing it to die when put in gear.I dropped the driveshaft and got the trans to work but the 9" is toasted.I want to pull the 400 tomorrow and see if it`s cracked or not. I know I got my work cut out for me but I`m confidant I can make a nice car out of all the parts I have. I would appreciate some tips on the chrome for now so I can start the paint prep. Thanks http://youtu.be/5A8-vRP-w7E

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm not sure if there are other later-model Cougar folks on this forum. I for one don't know anything about those Cougars. Anyway, welcome to the forum and hopefully someone will come up with the answers you need.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
That's a good looking white car you have there.
Welcome!

The 400 likes to freeze and bust along the back of the heads (rear by the firewall) and between the valve seats in the chamber.
If the white car sat for 15 years, it'll need a trans re-do just to replace the seals. Engine probably will too. They dry out and crack when not used.

Anyway, keep us updated. You look pretty happy to be working on those things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts