Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my power steering pully on my 69 xr7got bent and i need a new one, but i dont want to pay for alber, i saw that there is a alan rench socket on it but is there a special tool of some sort to pull it out?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes there is a special tool . It clamps around the flange on the pulley and is just about the only way you can remove the pulley without bending it. The good news is they are easy to find and dont cost alot. I think mine is from KD tools which is available from most any auto parts. You can get them from sears hardware stores as well as Snapon, Mac etc. Or most auto parts like Auto Zone will rent them.mm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
...or do what I did and just take the pump to a pep boys or other parts store and have em swap the pullies for you... :) 9/10 times, they'll do it for free..

·
Registered
406 Posts
The local kragens in San Jose would laugh in your face if you asked them to do it for you, but i've seen some good kragens in oakland and berkeley that may do it for you. However, Kragens does rent the puller for 6 bucks a day, i think it is, and you can buy it too. - Chad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got bad news

well guy's thanks for all ur help, but i got it looked at , and they said the pully is put on with so much pounds of preasure that even if i did take it of and replace it the cylonoid wouldnt work right and leak and **** so i need a whole new power steering cylonoid, sucks huh.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Young Buck,I didnt understand a bit of that. Sounds like someone is pulling a scam on you. The correct puller grips the flange of the pulley and pushes on the end of the pump shaft and has nothing to do with making the pump leak. How in the hell did your pulley get bent to begin with? What are you talking about a cylonoid? mm

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think I'm just as confused a MM on this one. Can you even see that the pulley is bent at all? Maybe your pulley's aren't lining up right and it's making the belt fall off - that happened with my alternator. Is it some kind of performance pump that uses a cyloniod to open valves or something?? My thoughts - Chad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats wat im saying

yeah i thought that sounded dumb to. i got hecka confused.but i was told that sense it hasnt been used in so long that if it works again stuff wont work properly and it might leak or something, it sounded stupid to me to. but anyway i think im going to just get the pully first and if the power steering box does start to leak or whaever i will change that, but i agree with u guys. and yeah the pully is bent, im not sure how it got bent cause it was bent when i bought it but the belt falls of track.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts