Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
No, the "How To Sharpen A Cougar's Claws" dealer brochure is not being reproduced and I personally am not aware of anything similar (custom Shelby pieces for the Cougar) for '69.

That Cascade Cougar Club article is fantastic. Several pages/inserts not included from the HTSACC brochure tho.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Is the How To Sharpen Your Cat's Claws catalog of Cougar Group II parts reprinted or available for sale anywhere?

Are there any similar goodies for 1969?
I bet you can find it on ebay if you keep looking. Lots were printed. If there are any literature dealers still advertising in Hemmings, I bet at least one of them has one for sale

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I just cruised Ebay, and found none. If anybody else gets one, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Woodsnake wants....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I believe Don scored one on ebay not too long ago, but it was missing some inserts.

One of the problems is, on pieces like this we're competing with the Shelby camp. I've been an SAAC member off-and-on since the early '80s and I've gone to quite a few Shelby National Conventions and I always ask about the "How To Sharpen A Cougar's Claws" brochure. I've only run across a few of them and so far no one was willing to part with theirs. These have traded hands in Shelby circles for big bucks.

In my experience they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I believe Don scored one on ebay not too long ago, but it was missing some inserts.

One of the problems is, on pieces like this we're competing with the Shelby camp. I've been an SAAC member off-and-on since the early '80s and I've gone to quite a few Shelby National Conventions and I always ask about the "How To Sharpen A Cougar's Claws" brochure. I've only run across a few of them and so far no one was willing to part with theirs. These have traded hands in Shelby circles for big bucks.

In my experience they are hard to come by.

My knowledge of the literature situation goes back to about 1985-1992 and stops there. During those years I was sending SASE's to anyone and everyone who advertised literature/memoribilia in Hemmings and I posted my own ads too. At that time there were a lot. I mean I had about 20 different chances to buy one. Usually I bought everything available on my first chance no matter what the asking price was. I think I overpaid for mine. About $30.00 if I remember right. Later I found some cheaper, but never bought them as I already had one.
With ebay, you have to check a lot. Be patient. One will show up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
On the link posted above, cool reading material. Thanks for posting that. I think those pictures of the XR-7S are the best I have seen. "Sharpen your Cat's claws" on page 24, that's some cool HI-PO stuff.
Steven

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I had forgotten about the tach, a very cool piece.....

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I had forgotten about the tach, a very cool piece.....
Hey I'd forgotten that I have one of those! I think I need to mount it up in the '68 Standard ;)

Either that or displayed in the "Man Loft". It is a thing of beauty..

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a box of these things, sitting in some dingy back room of an old dealership somewhere, or stuffed in an old filing cabinet.

Here is a thread on the brochure over at the SAAC forum. You can see what all the pieces are of a complete "How To Sharpen A Cougar's Claws" folder.

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=12161.0

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Anyone ever see one of the steering wheels in real life? I'd love to know what the center cap looked like.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
MMMEAT, I can't believe how much I covet your stuff! Blackie, AND the tach?? That steering wheel center is still not clear to me, anyone have a better shot of same?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here ya go: [deleted url] Start at Page 24.
I guess I forgot that the Cascade Club had that in their tribute magazine. Those magazines are really well done and worth buying from the source. Not sure if that .ch web site is authorized to republish. I've got the 67 thru 70 editions, and they are all great. I see they have the 1971 magazine ready to go (PayPal sent!).... Cascade Club Merchandise available here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts