Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever replace their fuel lines on a '68 without removing the tailpipe? I'm sure I could get the existing line out by cutting it, but what I really want to do is pull the existing line out and put the new one side by side with it and make sure all the bends are as close as I can possibly get them before installing the new one. And obviously to do that I'd have to be able to get the existing line out without cutting or bending it, or else how would I then be able to get the new line in?

I replaced my fuel tank and the two front steel lines yesterday, but hit a roadblock with the rear line, the long one. Just cannot see a way to get it out without bending or cutting it, and without removing the tailpipe. Help please!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine, and if you take all of the clamps off that holds the line and let the front hang down to the floor, remove the left rear wheel the line should come out with little distortion. when you buy the new line , it comes bent and you have to straighten it out anyway. My car came with factory dual exhaust and I don't see a problem,, but your set up may be different.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Towcat, thank you so much for this suggestion. I feel like quite an idiot right now, it never occurred to me to remove the tire. She's already up on jack stands so it shouldn't take but a minute to pull the wheel off and have a go at it. I sure hope that's all it takes. Thanks again!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That did the trick! Old line off and new line on, not too much trouble. The bends in the rear line were off by a bit, and the length seems wrong as well, zero distance between the two lines where it attaches to the other one behind the torque box. It's not sitting perfectly but after a little tweaking it's good enough, so I'm okay with it.

Now just need to get a new sender, as the old one is working but just too rusty/lacquery for me to feel good about putting it back in. From what I've read the new units aren't good. I guess as long as it forms a tight seal and the gas gauge tells me something about how much fuel is left, I'll be alright with it. Totally looking forward to getting her back on the road.

Thanks again for the suggestion to pull the wheel off, that's exactly what I needed. Cheers!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for your reply, we all like to know how people solve their problems. If you can, get a stainless steel gas pick-up/sender.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered the Dorman unit from RockAuto. If I understood their website right it has a lifetime warranty. Can't wait to get it and install it and get my cat back on the road

1 - 6 of 6 Posts