Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well the past few weeks I've been working on adding some gauges and fixing other little problems (speedo cable, temp gauge not working, etc...). After reading on how to remove the dash pad from doing a search here I think now I can remove it within 10-15 minutes...lol Now, I'm gonna tackle some other issues and want access to the wiring underneath the driver side dash. What do I need to do to remove the lower half of the dash on the driver's side? this is on a 69. thanks!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
What are you trying to get to?

The stuff you can't get to from above (after removing the dash pad), you're probably better off approaching from below without removing the metal dash frame. Things like the ignition switch, wiper, courtesy lights are accessible from below with a little contortion. Radio/heater can be pulled out after removing the bezel and plastic caps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to get to the wiring from the headlight switch. I'm able to remove the switch but dont have much even like I just bearly have access to them

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wanted to add that I'm trying to test the headlight switch due to not having dash lights

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
OK... before removing the metal, lower dash...

The headlight switch also acts as a dimmer switch for the dash lights. Try turning the knob clockwise. If still no dash lights, you can try cleaning the contacts on the "rheostat" on the switch (it looks like a long spring wound into a circle shape).

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
And check for voltage on both sides of the smallest (physically) fuse in your fuse block (with the lights on and knob clockwise), it is the dash light fuse.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did the rotating of the knob and checked the fuses but I didnt try cleaning the wheel in the switch, gonna go try that and can will post results

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no luck.... the courtesy lights come on, the ignition switch lights comes on, the aftermarket tach that I wired into that comes on but not the dash lights (yes i did try unplugging the tach)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts