Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to replace the entire dash clip assembly in my 67. It's been cut for a stereo and it looks like a previous accident damaged the right side. I am doing a restomod, so not to worried about originality.

What is the best way to remove this section? I see that it is bolted on the bottom (support arms) and at the side as well. It appears that only the top is welded. Is it recommended to drill out the spot welds, cut off the dash piece as close to the welds as possible and grind remainder off...? :wave:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of the dash as it is now.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Removing the "pod" is a labor intensive act! I would try and find a replacement for the stereo section, rather than replacing the whole thing. However, in the picture it does look like the passenger side took a knock to it!
You basically have the process down, there are a LOT of spot welds on the top, where the hood sits.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went ahead and removed the entire dash substructure. I am doing a full resto as well as many mods (which I have yet to come up with!) as I can. Would like access behind the dash regardless. What is best source for replacing?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If you are in Washington state, probably a trip down the coast to:
West Coast Classic Cougar, Waconda Road Northeast, Salem, OR....Or keep your eyes open for a donor car...Looks like about a four hour drive from your place to get to WCCC on google maps.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny enough, I bought the Cougar only an hour or so from Salem as I was working 30 miles south of there. If only I had known the parts I was going to need...

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Another option is John Benoit of Cascade Classics, aka DrCougar. He's in Edgewood up above Puyallup if you just want to take a short drive to pick up your parts.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Curious to how well a new dash panel would fit.....that is one hell of a buckle. Did it have a windshield in it at purchase, was the passenger door closing properly?? If you need an A pillar to pillar measurement,..Tag me back and I'll go run a tape measure on my '67.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curious to how well a new dash panel would fit.....that is one hell of a buckle. Did it have a windshield in it at purchase, was the passenger door closing properly?? If you need an A pillar to pillar measurement,..Tag me back and I'll go run a tape measure on my '67.
Everything lined up and you couldn't tell there was damage without removing the dash covering or looking between the door at the jamb. It looks like they did a slight repair, but it wasn't complete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts