Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a burned out signal indicator, so I'm trying to remove the cluster to get at the bulb. I'm certain I did this once before, but it was too many years ago. If I recall, I took the whole dash apart at the time, anyway, and I do not want a repeat of that chore :(.

So, I've removed the lower plastic edge to the cluster. That revealed two screws which hold the burl face plate on. How do you get that thing off without damaging it by the way? The top of the dash sort of wraps around it. I'm hoping by removing the face place, I will become enlightened about how to proceed, but this may only be wishful thinking.

Steve C.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Steve,

In order to remove the dash cluster, you must remove the pad. Before the pad, all the plastic pieces which attach to it must be take off. The two plastic pieces on the end, the parts under the dash, and any other ones go. There is also a couple of screws up under the dash near the radio bezel that sometimes prevents the dash from coming off. Don't forget the ones at the windshield. Detach the wires associated with the clock, toggle switches, and anything else attached to the dashpad. The gauges have the speedo, tach, and harness attachment behind it. Carefully detach the speedo first, then the harness which has two clips that come off by sqeezing both ends of the harness. The tach is easy. Be very careful when you detach the harness as the prongs which mate to the cluster are fragile. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Unfortunately, you cannot change the bulbs without pulling the dash pad. Jim's right about the dash pad but you can change the turn signal bulb without having to completely remove the instrument cluster. Once the pad is off, remove the four screws holding the instrument cluster in, then move it forward about an inch or two at most, about the same amount you would need to get to the connectors. With the cluster this far forward, you can reach the turn signal bulb holders, which are at the top of the cluster.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Steve,

Before you go to the trouble of removing the cluster, are your flashers working? Are your tailights sequencing? You may have some other problems which, I am sure, someone can give you advice for resolving. Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the turn signals sequence, and work fine. I just have no indicator light for the LH side. I'm not ruling out a wiring problem to the dash, but its the same problem. I have to get at the wiring, and it doesn't appear I can without removing the dash pad.

I'm 6'3", and crawling under the dash on this car isn't the most pleasant way to spend my time. I'd rather work on anything else. Or, drive it of course. This is going to affect my mood, I'm certain of it.

Steve C.

·
Registered
965 Posts
With a droptop, it's not really that bad of a job. We have the entire dash and wiring out of my son's 69 conv. right now working on the heater and putting a new wiring harness in. Now, that is a job, believe me, so it could be worse. Good luck!

Jim

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim,

As I alluded to earlier, I've had the dash out once before. I'm not intimidated by removing the dash pad, I just don't have fond memories of the task. The sooner I get this done, the sooner I'll get it out of the garage, and back on the road.

I think I'll keep an eye out for missing fasteners (I know there are some), and see if I can find substitutes. Do you (or anyone for that matter) know of a source for interior fasteners? Many of the ones attaching the dash are painted, or plated, so not easy to find. By the way, where did you get the new wiring harness for the '69? Is it a generic style harness, or a Ford part?

Steve C.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey - where did you get a new wiring harnes for the instrument cluster ? Do they have harnesses for the power windows too ?

·
Registered
965 Posts
The wiring came out of an XR7 conv. parts car I purchased some time back. To my knowledge, none are in reproduction. Ken's or John's Cougars or anyone who parts out cars may have one. I have an extra one also that I use for parts. Screws and fasteners can be purchased from most suppliers. I might have some extra screws if you need some. Email me with needs.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
A trick

One little trick to make life easier when removing the instrument cluster is to loosen the 3 bolts that hold the steering column to the lower dash. Why? Because everyone seems to rip out the two mounting tabs that come around the bottom of the dash. By dropping the column down the plastic filler that goes across slides out and you can remove the last two dash screws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts