Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to not pay $500.00 for a clutch pedal.
Clutch and brake pedals costs allot for our cars these days and I hope to show you how to make your own from the salvage yards.
This is for all of you that do not need correct pedals in their cars.
I am as broke as most and that makes building a car a low priority.
I am also a reformed packrat >>>>>>>>>
(That just means that I don’t bring as much stuff home as I used to)
And I tend to make due with what I have on hand rather than run out and buy stuff.
Here we go.
I had a thunderbird with a 5 speed in it that got wrecked and I had saved it for parts.

In picture #1 is the pedal bracket out of a 1988 thunderbird. 1984-1988 are all the same.
I show the whole bracket here to show better detail of how it is assembled.
You will not need the whole bracket, just the parts I show later on.
They can be removed from the bracket while it is still in the car. Tough but can be done.

Picture #2 I cut the brake metal pad off from the stock 1970 cougar power disc brake pedal arm as well as from the 1988 brake arm.
Then I welded the smaller 1988 metal pad onto the cougar arm.
You could make your own metal pads so that you can use the stock looking 1970 pads but since this is a restomod and I do not have the 1970 pads I just used the 1988 pads. You should also deepen a notch in the brake pedal arm as shown in picture #11 for clearance. Put the brake arm back in it’s original place in the bracket.
Brake mod done………

Picture #3 and #4 are all the clutch parts that you will need to remove from the 1988 thunderbird bracket. Note in picture #3 the missing brake pad.
I had already started when I thought about documenting this.

Picture #5 I cut the pivot bar to 5 1/4 inches but you must
PAY ATTENTION HERE!!!.

Make this cut after you have determined where your clutch rod goes through the floor and lines up with the pedal arm.
I am using a hydraulic setup but you should be able to use a push rod setup with a z bar. I looked at my 4 speed car and it looks like a good fit. You can use spacers to move the pedal to the left or right.

Be sure to use thrust washers next to the plastic bushings, drill a hole in the end of the rod for a cotter pin of your choice.
The end piece that was on the end of the rod I saved for the clutch master cylinder hookup. You will see it on the side of the clutch pedal in another picture.

Picture #6 here are all the parts ready to be put into the cougar bracket.
The one thing I found out is that the plastic bushings are the exact same dimensions as the 1970 cougar bushings and the pivot rod is still the same diameter and still it all fits in the original cougar pedal bracket metal bushings after all these years.

Picture #7 shows the pedals installed at there pivot points.
You must notch out the brake pedal arm to clear the clutch pivot rod before installing it back in its original position. This spot was already clearanced at the factory but I found that just a 1/8-inch needed to be removed to make sure that it won’t rattle.

Picture #8 shows a comparison to all the parts that I used.

Picture #9 shows the bracket installed in the car.

Picture #10 shows just the clutch parts that were modified and ready for installation.

Picture #11 this is another view of where to notch the brake arm.
This might not even be needed but I did not want to have to mess with it later.

The pedal bracket came out of a fox body thunderbird,
I am not sure if the mustang pedals are the same or not but knowing ford not wanting to make to many different parts they might be the same.
If not, I may have just doomed my second most favorite car.

i hope that i have contributed a good salvage yard mod.

michael parsons.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some more pics

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
A very good write up! There are also now a few places that re-man a clutch pedal to fit our cars, but you're right, trying to get a deal on a stock set up can be very pricey!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks.
I found it an intersting, to find out that it fit my project.
those parts have been laying around for more than ten years. :)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Wow, it's stuff like this that screams the need for a Do It Yourself section.

Great documentation.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the comments.
altho i have not been able to get my hands on a mustang pedal set i have seen many pictures of them and i still think that they will fit as well.

a diy section would be nice.

thanks again...
mickp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts