Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got these 16 x 8 Cragar wheels back in the summer, the S/S ones that are chrome and 5 spoke, and I was wondering what you guys do to keep the salt from rusting them? I drive the car alot, so its hard not to drive it when they have the salt out. The faucet is frozen so no water can get out there.
I've been washing them by hand from a bucket lately, but cannot get the crevaces by the wheel nuts where it can rust.
Is there any chemical or protection thing that I can put on them so that the salt wont do any damage to them? Thanks alot for any help!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i moved to California.... no really!:D but not driving it is about it any moisture is going to cause it to happen on chrome steel chrome rust. that should be the slogan anyhow. you might try painting with a clear coat polymer but i am in doubt how well that would work and within a month or two it woul look like th back of a diarettic goat anyhow.... yup i stand by my first cure... move west and south best cure for rust i can think of. I know this didnt help. sorry but there isnt really much you can do.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Isnt the S/S a two peice composite wheel with a steel rim mated to an aluminum center?

If this is how they are constructed then rust around the wheel nuts shouldn't be a problem right? aluminum does't rust. :1poke:

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
got me as to the construction if they are aluminum wheels then no rust should accur but it may be staining from the hub or more likely the studs and lugs and when they get whet it stains onto the wheel itself.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think old Cragars were all steel because i've also seen those with rust as well but if your not sure I'd suggest contacting the place where you bought them and see if it's the composite wheel. :)

They might also have a tips on protecting them from the road salt.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
like evil said get some steel wheels and run some hubcaps during the winter months not a bad idea. keep the good stuff out of the weather. and a whole lot cheaper than moving.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I don't know about newer Cragars, but the older Cragers were very prone to rust. I had several sets when I lived in Ky.(same climate) and they all ended up with rust spots. I guess that's why I don't have any now. If you can afford to do so, for the months of Dec.-Mar., run some other wheels and tires. I am sure your Cragars were not cheap! How do you plan on keeping the rest of your car from being affected by the salt? It would be a shame to have a nice set of wheels on a rusted car. Been there, done that. Just a thought!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
If there is any way you can afford it I would suggest you get a decommissioned police Crown Victoria for winter driving and leave the Cougar in a dry salt-free place during the winter months. That way you also have a chance to do refurbishing that takes more than a weekend. Also if some sub-par driver slides into you on a slippery day - it happens to a disposable car! In my neighborhood a decommissioned Crown Vic can be had for less than $2,800. (Ford keep getting some back that they have to get rid off)

Doing total body work, paint and chrome in a couple of years will easily cost more than the Crown Vic - not to mention the aggravation.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is from the site 72 cat listed:

My next question is how he kept them from rusting, as the chrome rims were like absolute new. Here is the tip. Spray wash the truck and rims once per week and then spray the chrome rims with Kleen-flo, Silicon Greaseless Lubricant, stock #742 from NAPA (UAP in CANADA) It displaces moisture and prevents salt from rusting the chrome, a remarkable barrier.
Do you guys think that would work?

I do have the stock wheels that it came with, so I guess changing back to them is an option, but if I could I would like to keep the Cragar ones on. I'm gonna get it painted anyways in the spring, because it has the original paint job.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ohio Rust Belt Solution

There is a product out called LPS 3 Most good auto stores carry it.It comes in spray can or by the gallon($40.00)You spray it on what you want to protect and when the time comes to remove it,Karoseane or deasil fuel takes it right off and you can polish it.Its not like undercoating,It leaves a thin semi tranparent coat.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not being a smart a$$ but,

buy some aluminum wheels and yes, your sheet metal is rusting too. My cat is in the garage in the winter. Plus, I worry about the other drivers slamming my car after I put all that money in it.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts