Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I've got nearly the entire front gauge area out of the car and I can't get my hand under the dash to get to the rear of the speedo to remove the cable.

Is there a trick to this? Do I just need to take the other end out of the trans and let the gauges pull back enough to get to the cable at the rear of the speedo? grrrrr!!!

:confused:

Robert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a latch where the speedo cable connects to the speedometer that must be pressed, in order for the cable to pull off.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was able to get a 3/4 wrench in behind the speedo by pulling the gauge cluster away from the dash as far as it would stretch without breaking anything loose. There was just the speedo cable (3/4 nut), a connector to the back of the gauges, a white plastic wire plug and the light from the brakes indicator... then it came out.

I got the stock dash clock working again, I've stripped the gauge console all apart and have been media blasting it all down to bare plastic. I'm going to spray it with an aluminum silver, then paint the inner rings back to black and repaint the ends of the needles on the gauges. Should have it all back together and in the car again later tonight. I've taken pics along the way and will post them when I'm done.

Catch ya later,

Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts