Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm trying to determine the value of a 69 Cougar Convertible.

75k+ on body.
351 2bl, auto, factory air, manual top, am/fm, originally black interior, creme/tan exterior
Last inspected 2002. Been in a dry garage.
Solid body, minor body repairs years ago.
Needs restoration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding, I will take some photos best I can, car is in single car garage.

I do have the data info:

9F92H

9 = 1969
F = Dearborn, Mich
92 = Standard convertible
H = 351W 2V

Data Plate

Body 76A = 1969 Convertible
Color W = Yellow
Trim 2A = Charcoal Black Corinthian Vinyl
Date 08D = April
DSO 15 = New York, NY

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Added Axle and Trans:

9F92H

9 = 1969
F = Dearborn, Mich
92 = Standard convertible
H = 351W 2V

Data Plate

Body 76A = 1969 Convertible
Color W = Yellow
Trim 2A = Charcoal Black Corinthian Vinyl
Date 08D = April
DSO 15 = New York, NY
Axle 6 = 3.00 Non-Locking
Trans X: FMX Automatic

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you can get a Marti report that also gives a potential buyer, more to think about. Trans type?
Interestingly I have an Apr 1969, complete 351W,4spd in my garage. Complete, meaning from the air cleaner nut to the drain plug and from the crank pulley to the out shaft on the trans. Build date Apr 1969 matching numbers. Never been apart until I took it apart to inspect it. Right down to all the Ford factory tags.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very clean and good platform. Especially garaged. Have you spin the engine over at all? What neck of the woods are you located in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not yet tried to turn over the engine. Will try that soon.

Located in South Jersey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how's your research for the value of that Cougar? My uncle is looking at 69 Convertible as the next project but the owner haven't decided yet for the price. She got some rust spots but seem in good condition overall. Yours looks very neat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Make sure and especially check the cowling area, firewall, rear fender corners, and pull up the back seat and carpet and look at the floor pans. That will help get a better price with that info. Big rust spots people hate to repair. From the underside you really don't get a good idea of what they look like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure and especially check the cowling area, firewall, rear fender corners, and pull up the back seat and carpet and look at the floor pans. That will help get a better price with that info. Big rust spots people hate to repair. From the underside you really don't get a good idea of what they look like.
Alright will keep that in mind! Thanks

·
Registered
546 Posts
Alright will keep that in mind! Thanks
Just looking at it in a couple of ways...
It isn't a particularly desirable car (when compared to the big engine and special packages like the Eliminator) other than appearing original and a convertible with a/c.
As noted, it is a seemingly nice platform to start or continue with as-is for what ever happens next.

Since the early 2000's to here in 2021, (my period of time in which I've been paying attention) I normally see these examples in a range from $18K to $26K with the upper end being running, driving, as perfect as they can be without a full restore and ready to drive anywhere.
Even once fully restored, with some add-on goodies, they don't normally fetch more than $35K.

In non-running condition and as it sits without crawling under it to learn about the sins it has lurking and getting worse over time, you'd be fortunate to get $15K.

Starting with a higher optioned example like an Eliminator or at least a 4V 351W, CJ with XR-7 package that gives leather, upgraded dash, stainless trim and power windows, glass rear window, a color that is highly desired ...and then the prices start to climb a little provided the parts are all there and in great condition.

The other way to look at it is being a 1-year-only body style where the '70 received a different front grill and tail light trim, was the last year for a console-mounted ignition switch and last year of the factory installed Windsor 351 until the Cleveland went away... there are a few other differences from 69 to 70 like the headrests too but even in total, there's not a whole lot that makes the '69 superior to any other year Cougar and especially that car as presented. The best thing going for it is probably the originality and even that is only interesting to some enthusiast for that particular fact alone.

I feel able to speak of it this way not to throw shade on it but to call it what it is and that being so, it is very much like mine. A '69 H code convertible that I've added a few goodies to.

If it really is in good shape and rear quarters, floor pans/torque boxes are solid, I'd keep it mostly stock and add a few Cougar parts on it to get it the way I wanted it (larger/wider Magnum 500 wheels, dual exhaust, a mild cam, EFI or a 4V and find a center console for the interior). Keep the parts that came off of it so it can go back to as-built whenever ...and then enjoy a car that isn't a Mustang or a Camaro for a cheap investment.

Once it is done and how you want it, I'm thinking as long as it is running/driving, it will always be worth at least $25K.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Looks very much like a 69 standard conv I sold in south jersey in late 1999 or early 2000, including the colors. Mine did not have a/c and I had added a console.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts