Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to wire the side marker lights on my '68 to blink when I turn the turn signals on? Would this be adviseable or would it hurt anything? I'm all about safety!:D

·
Registered
889 Posts
I would tap into the wires for your front turn signals and you have to get a matching socket and bulb sound like a neat idea I my try that myself

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, you can do it. I don't know if the system will have enough juice to run them off the stock alternator though. Try this test. Turn the headlights on, the fan, and the wipers. Have someone put the car in drive and hold the brake. If all the brake lights work, try the turn signals. If everything still works, you might be able to do it. If not, you will need to upgade the alternator before rewiring your marker lights.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have done this

I have a 68 done the same but he is right one side is bright then the other is dim.but granted i did this with the car off:( should have turn the car on. :D i have not work on it lately but that what i plan to do :D

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
I have done this on my 68/69 and 70 and had the lenses coloured orange. They work just fine with the low wattage bulbs in the side indicators. On the 70 I replaced the sockets with lmodern 12 watt push in bulbs

There is a connector in the wiring loom that allows the indicators to be disconnected from the loom. Connect the wires from the side indicators on the indicator side of the plug and use connectors that will allow you to disconnect the side repeaters from the indicators

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce said:
Yes, you can do it. I don't know if the system will have enough juice to run them off the stock alternator though. Try this test. Turn the headlights on, the fan, and the wipers. Have someone put the car in drive and hold the brake. If all the brake lights work, try the turn signals. If everything still works, you might be able to do it. If not, you will need to upgade the alternator before rewiring your marker lights.
Thanks for the input guys. Actually, the new motor will be "sporting" a 130 amp alternator so I should be set as far as power goes. I just wondered if anyone had done it. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts