Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Edelbrock intake that has that nasty white corrosion in it. I tired to Google some options, but apparently my head cold has affected my search capabilities. Does aluminum wheel cleaner remove moderate to light corrosion? Would a bath in a hot tank take it off? What has worked for you?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
sounds like an acid problem---wheel cleaner might work but it is an acid cleaner too.the last alum manifold i had got powder coated silver---solved all the cleaning problems
doctordesoto

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is in the runners. The car sat outside for a couple of years without a hood, and water go in thru the carb..You really have to scratch at it to get it to come off, but it does come off..

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Have you removed the spark plugs and turned the engine over? If so did/does water come out plug holes? I would be concerned that water has/is in the cylinders, IMO. If so, then a whole new set of issues may be at hand, HOPE NOT....Have you drained the engine oil to check for water?

I'm NOT being bossy, or a KNOW IT ALL, just thinking aloud.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, the motor was toasted.....I salvaged the intake, and coil, the rest went to go make new Ford GT's. I'm going to put this intake on my donor motor for my new 71 mustang FB that I bought.
1200 for the mustang sans motor and trans, 700 for the 84 F-150 2wd. I believe the motor, trans, and drive shaft will all either bolt right in, or be able to be made to fit. I.E., the drive shaft. The engine in the truck has that early fuel injected throttle body. I'm going to throw a Holley 600 on it, (With this intake) Some extra headers I had laying around, The 14 inch wheels and tires off of my 69, (so I can put my 'new' 16's on it) and a few small repairs, and try to get 4K out of the mustang, as a driving project...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Take it to a machine shop and give them a couple of bucks to run it through their big dishwasher parts scrubber.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Glass beading is the right/best/about the only way to get rid of this. The white stuff is Aluminum Oxide. Sandblasting would work too but does not leave as nice a finish. Glass beading can make the manifold look like new if the person beading finishes the job with new bead.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The outside actually looks OK, I'm more concerned about the stuff inside coming of in the engine..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
blasting beading it should work well out or in....just tank it when completed. I've washed them down before with wheel cleaner for non-coated wheels, but they will oxidize quickly after that if you don't coat it with high temp clear (which yellows a bit after time) or hit it with the aluminum look paint. Bob's right though, glass bead will make it look fresh longer if you want the new aluminum look.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
BTW, I clear coated my Air Gap manifold with Eastwood's diamond clear, hoping that it will resist yellowing for longer than other clear although I have my doubts. When my double pumper line leaked, it prematurely yellowed where the gas made contact with the clear, so I am not holding my breath. Fixed that and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yep - the VHT stuff yellowed at the second gas touched it too.....I think the gray paint holds up well - just a bit dull looking.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Aluminum intakes are tought to keep clean. I can't stand it when mine is dirty or yellow from fuel. When mine gets discolored from gas, I clean it with laquer thinner. The discoloration will come right off. For tight spots, use a little laquer thinner and a tooth brush.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hydrofluoric acid works great on aluminum, but it is dangerous use extreme care. Do a search for aluminum brightener. I had some once and couldn't believe how well it worked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts