Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the back seat out and can see the nut how the heck do you get it off socket just turns it....

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Your going to have to send it over to me. It will take me all next summer as well as some miles to test it out. I had this happen before. You will need to have some one help you by holding them from under the car. A large set of vice grips will be needed.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL....like thats going to happen....Not that much Xmas spirt around here........SO if they hold the pin on the bottom the top one wont spin...thanks try to convince the wife to come out to the garage

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
You will have to hold the upper part of the shock, it will spin freely of the lower section.What kind of shocks are you putting on? I have KYBs on my hard top. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you are going to throw the shocks away, I have used a long extension placed on the nut bend it back and forth until it breaks off. Kind of crude but it works.
Randy Feuillerat

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
An impact wrench will usually get the nuts off these with no problem. The impact rapid-fire motion usually will turn the nuts without needing to hold the upper part of the shock from underneath.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Try Bob's idea, that is what I was going to suggest. This has worked for me every time I have changed the shocks. It should work unless things are really corroded.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impact wrench worked thanks everyone for the advice...that was an easy project.......

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Another satisfied customer. You are welcome Tom!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts