Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 1968 Cougar today. It has the, The safety convenience package or “convenience control” option included 4 warning lights on the dash. Removed the lights and it is factory. Have never seen them before, is this rare? Has the headrest also, is this very rare? It is a J code non XR-7, Standard cougar. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
John, only 415 standard HT Cougars came with the Safety Convenience Panel and only 2,228 had headrests. John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. 68 PUMA. So with these two options and the J code, would make this 1 rare Cougar?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thank you. 68 PUMA. So with these two options and the J code, would make this 1 rare Cougar?
Well with 81,032 std HTs built, less than 1% were built with those options (if my calculations are right). One way to find out how many cars were built like yours is to order a "Marti Report" from here: www.martiauto.com . Put in you car info (year, model & engine, then click on "Select & Click Here"). After that, click were it says "Marti Report" on the left side. There are 3 different reports to choose from. BTW, what transmission did you J code come with from the factory, 3 spd (code 1), 4 spd (code 5) or C4 automatic (code W)? Thanks John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you John. It came with a C-4 Automatic Trans, has the aqua decor interior, console, caribbean blue U code exterior, power steering, and it has one original Cougar style steel weel in the trunk with a old bias tire. I have a 1968 Tilt Wheel, and a 1967 Cougar cruise control, perhaps I will install those two options on it as well. Having fun with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts