Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stock 302 in a regular 68 cougar, how much would it cost to get a 428 ram jet engine with all the parts to hook it up and with the hoodscoop. plus convert my c4 transmission to a manual? any guesses?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
OK, Canadian funds:

428CJ running 3500.
toploader 1500. in good condition

mounts motor/tranny-150.
rad 200.
drivshaft shortened and balanced-150.
9 in. rear end with 3.50 posi- 600.
will need to upgrade front brakes if drum-800.
ram-air set up- 600.

up to 7600. Can.
not to mention the labour and a few things I forgot. So convert to US funds, it is just under 5000.US, plus extra's around 5500.US

But man that thing would be a rocket. Be a '67 Cougar CJGT
Cool, gotta build one one year.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you forgot

dont forget you will need the big block shock towers which are heavier than the small block. these can only be gotten out of a big block car as none are in repro, if you dont good chance you'll regret it later when your front end starts to sag due to the stress on the towers.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Last I knew PAW was selling the "Big Block" shock towers. I don't know about the 67/68 series, but all 69/70s came with the BB shock towers. Mustang guys used to cut up Cougars to get the reinforced towers.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Actually, the 69/70 shock towers themselves are the same for small block/big block. The difference is that the big block cars have an additional brace stamped out of 1/4" plate that is welded to the frame rail at the bottom of the shock tower area, but not to the tower itself. There is an air gap of about 1/8- 3/16 inch between the shock tower and the 'big block brace'.

The upside of not having that brace in there is that it makes sparkplug changing / header bolt access quite a bit easier without it!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Are the set ups on 67/68 models like that? I knew that the 69/70 Cougars all came through with the braces, but can't remember if my 68 had them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts