Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know questions of value are somewhat subjective - beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, right? But I need a little guidance...

I found a '68 Cougar for sale that's in overall good condition except for rust on the lower quarters. The interior won't need much, maybe carpet and a driver's seat cover. The BIG kicker is that the car has a '69 428 Cobra Jet and C6 tranny! Job appears to have been done right with B&M shift kit, and posi traction rear. The engine was professionally rebuilt 9 months ago. As you can see the original wheels are gone, new ones appear to be "bullet hole" style aluminum.

What would your best guesstimate be for value?
How much do you think the 428CJ & C6 add?

I don't think the car is worth what he's asking, but wanted opinions from you guys.

Thanks for your help!!
Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Values

I'm No expert, that statement said my two cents forthcoming.
I love these cars, but they are not as valued as some of the other makes and models. This is of course a GREAT injustice for a seller, but gives a buyer more leverage to obtain.
The Cougar would hve to be primo to bring $10,000 from me personally. The only cats that seem to command more money on a consistant market I think are limited, rare model, high performence types. (as far as I'm concerned the high performence types are all limited and rare, doesnt matter to me if they are home built!)
NOBODY owns one that couldnt be worked on some, none of them are perfect, they are 30 plus years old. what they represent is now unappreciated or forgotten, accept by a few of us who are just nuts enought to put hard earned money where it really hurts!
Check out some of the rides that are for sale at this site, many of them are what I would consider damn nice rides for less than ten grand. Some of the owners will never be able to get out of the cars the value of what they have invested, a grave injustice, but great for a potential buyer.
shane:D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Also

You can get a VIN and door tag decoded to check and see if the car has some of the more desirable features on it originally.
Hope this helps...
shane:D

·
11,000 Posts
Rear quarter panel rust may be a tipoff that more rust is hiding in other places. Look hard, rust is expensive to fix.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
No where in Jason's post does he mention $10,000! For all we know the price isn't even near that. All he said is that he doesn't feel it's worth what the seller is asking.

I do agree though that it's tough to go on the one picture alone. Jason, you don't say where you're located but perhaps someone on here could go with you some time to check it out and give their opinion after seeing it in person. Another set of eyes is always a good thing when considering a purchase like this.

My opinion is that the motor and trans swap really won't affect the price too much since it doesn't appear to be a rare model to begin with.

Mark

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
What makes any car a "good deal" is when the buyer and seller are BOTH happy with the final price.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Jason
if you dont feel its worth what he is asking throw him a price that your wiling to offer n go from there if you really want it.If it falls thru shop around you may find another 1 out there that is in your price range and you can go from there.I know in your sentence the motor was rebuilt 9 months ago. Does he have the receipts for the parts and the engine/tranny rebuild? See what his lowest is and work at it there, you may walk away with the car at a good price that you can be happy with.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
You have to be ready to walkaway and mean it. If the seller knows you gotta have this car, he's note going to give you your best price.And like someone already said, no car is perfect.Definitely take someone with you to have a neutral opinion, and last remember it's not the only cougar out there...

Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the input!! I knew this would be tough to answer without more info, so I really appreciate all of your thoughts!

I may take a closer look and then consider making an offer, but definitely below asking price. ($7500 BTW) My price range started below $5k, now it's creeping to $8k, and I'd have to think this car would be pushing $10k when everything's said and done...

I guess I thought the '69 428 Cobra Jet engine/tranny combo would be valuable. (yes, he said he has all rebuild receipts) It isn't something I'm really crazy about having. I'd really rather have a more managable weekend driver. Not just a grocery getter, but not a race car either. Something in between that my wife would be comfortable driving as well.

I may send more pix or questions in the days to come. I'm going to keep looking!

Thanks again,
Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Being that an FE looks like an FE that looks like an FE, I'd take it's Cobra-Jetness with a really big grain of salt until some casting numbers were verified. And none of this "service block" stuff either.

Also the 'Jet C6 is a specific item with multiple different itemlike valve body, extra clutches, servo's, etc. Proving that this one has an actual 'Jet tranny could be difficult. I.D. was with a tag which can be changed of course. For all we know it's got a standard 390 unit.

In fact, to this point I'd assume that's ALL it has is a dressed up 390.

Personally I think your starting point of 5K is about where I'd top out without some serious documentation (and I don't mean receipts) and even then I'd stop about 7K based on that pic. Actually on second thought 5K's almost too high already unless its a damn sight nicer in person

·
Registered
751 Posts
Stick to your orig 5K for a cat. I could get an almost pristine pony for under 3 grand myself (Cleo's already pushin that). If I were you, I'd look for what I really want and get that. Probably want one that needs minor stuff, but has a reliable engine (Windsor or Cleveland are good, and better on gas than any FE). Look for what you REALLY WANT.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I gave 1500.00 for mine in much worse shape...I would be willing to give 6000.00 for it ....Just know you may never make your money back from the purchase but you will have great memories and those are priceless.....Lance

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
if your willing to go 5000.00 then offer 4500.00 or even 4000.00 the guy i bought my 429 ranchero was asking 2000.00 i offered him 1200.00 and he said make it 1300.00 and it was a deal i was willing to go 1800.00 so i always way lowball what the asking price is you will be suprised if he is wanting to sell. now as to the engine and tranny i would also have to see some serious numbers and documnetation. also if your seeing rust then there is allot more you dont see keep this in mind engines are easy to replace and so are drivelines. bodys take allot of money and expertise and it isnt for the average mechanic to do so it cost way more money than an engine. but a regualr 390 is around 2000.00 rebuilt and add 1000.00 for the c6 and rear end is around the same so at 4000.00 you have paid fpor the driveline so if you look at it from a cost point of view at 1000.00 for a cat isnt a bad deal. it is really up to you but walk away dont go over yuor set price. like it is said you may be the only cougar guy in 100 miles even willing to look the car over! so allot of times within a couple weeks the boss will start nagging him and you will get a call and it usually goes "you still interested in the cougar? is that 5000.00 still good?" then you drop another 200 bucks off just for making you wait. ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts