Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize yall are very helpful here and have already received a bunch of good advice. I am planning on all the work cept possible paint myself. I am pretty good with a wrench, used to be a mechanic cept on airplanes. Can figure wiring out as well. Not scared of hard work or slow process. Ok I don't like slow. Just kinda wondering how long yall will hold out before you get tired of all my questions. I am currently loosing sleep with all the junk running through my mind before I even get started! I am sure I will either sound like an idiot or be a genious in regards to cougars fore I am done. At least this cougar.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Look up all the posts by mmeat. Here is a guy with little to no restoration experience and he has restored his car to a concours level one post, one question at a time. Brian is a good example of a guy who is willing to give as well as take. All in all this is a pretty helpful community. I say go for it! Don

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks there Mr. Don, and by the way have been looking at your sight at different parts. My dream list is getting bigger everyday. Cept most of the parts that I have are in good condition? Thinking I can clean and paint and keep a lot of what I have. Just hide that amp gauge for me till after the holidays.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
You will get good advice and sometimes blunt advice from this site. Most people are more than willing to help those who can listen to good advice from those with years of experience. We are all always learning

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Welcome to the insanity...

Another great thread to look at one page at a time is ECI Bob's (AKA 69xr7vert).
Very detailed restoration with great Q&A's.
ECI = East Coast Idiot, you will see why. :toung:

It would be helpful if you put what year car you are working on in your sig block, or profile so everyone will know which year speciffically you need help on.

Welcome again,

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
You will get good advice and sometimes blunt advice from this site. Most people are more than willing to help those who can listen to good advice from those with years of experience. We are all always learning
True That!! As long as you're willing to keep an open mind and don't come across as a know-it-all, you'll find everything you'll ever need or want to know right here.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
True That!! As long as you're willing to keep an open mind and don't come across as a know-it-all, you'll find everything you'll ever need or want to know right here.

Good Luck!
LOL Mark, good answer. The question in the title of the thread kind of puts me off a little (although I doubt it was intended that way). It's like asking the guy who just gave you a generous tip "Well, how generous are you?", LOL.

Harvey, in general the answer is "as much as you need" with the only caveat being something along the lines of what Mark said.

Daryl, thanks for the compliment.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
And just to throw a helper under the bus........Mark(Local Hero) painted his own car......first time. He says there are flaws, but I don't believe him......I think he's just being modest.

Seriously, though, the people on this site are very helpful........just ask Rusty McRustbucket.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Welcome Harvey. You are in the right place for Cougar restoration tips.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You have probably come here thinking this is a community of experienced, thoughtful, well meaning folks, equipped with all of the wisdom of the ages. Reality is, this is a lot closer to a glue trap filled with mice, that have decided they might as well stick around.

Keep in mind that in general, we all nucking futz. We will gladly tell you how to spend thousands of dollars to build a car worth a fraction of that, and we will do it with the utmost sincerity and a straight face. Most questions will be answered with many options, typically all well meaning and equally wrong. We are all experts in one area or another, but that will never stop us from providing advice about things where we have nary a clue. So, if that sounds like help, you have come to the right place. Think of us as a bunch of guys hanging out in your garage drinking your beer while we watch you over your shoulder. Never run out of beer. Always maintain your sense of humor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reality is, this is a lot closer to a glue trap filled with mice, that have decided they might as well stick around.
LOL! And don't forget this is going to cost you. BIG TIME. You have made a stupid financial decision young man.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
You have probably come to WCCC thinking this is a company of experienced, thoughtful, well meaning folks, equipped with all of the wisdom of the ages. Reality is, this is a lot closer to a glue trap filled with mice, that have decided they might as well stick around.

Keep in mind that in general, we all nucking futz. We will gladly tell you how to spend thousands of dollars to build a car worth a fraction of that, and we will do it with the utmost sincerity and a straight face. Most questions will be answered with many options, typically all well meaning and equally wrong. We are all experts in one area or another, but that will never stop us from providing advice about things where we have nary a clue. So, if that sounds like help, you have come to the right place. Think of us as a bunch of guys hanging out in your garage drinking your beer while we watch you over your shoulder. Never run out of beer. Always maintain your sense of humor.
Well said Bill! I just cut and pasted this into our website as the opening paragraph.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Don, Do you really need to scare the customers off? Lin and Scott will probably not forgive me for that one... but if the glue trap sticks...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, without even drinking my confidence is up a little. I have been looking several years for the right car. I wanted one as close to my first car as I could get cept my wife said limefrost green was ugly. This here fawn color is differnt. Not white not really tan, grows on ya quick though, pretty classy color. I have heard from many of yall that say not to touch the car cept the mechanics, seems my lifter problem is fixing itself, after fresh gas and running the car every few days just to here it and fumigate my barn I don't here the lifter anymore! I want to wrench on the car. Lots of stuff I can do i that aspect like brakes, wiring and exhaust without affecting the paint or current appearance. Since I want to have the money to do what I want up front maybe I will just clean it up as much as I can and drive it around next summer to see what kind of a reaction I get. Then the following year I can think about paint and stuff? I am not in a hurry now that it is actually in my barn! Time and effort aren't a problem as that is one of the reasons I wanted the car. fun to tinker when you don't have to. Bites when it is your primary transportation and you have fix it now. I am going to continue searching here and where ever I can on what it will take to do a concours restoration as I do someday want the car to be in that condition if only on the outside. Not as concerned about chalk lines and such as I am just having a really nice clean stock car. I want to keep it as the door tag says. Means I won't have to spend extra on beefing the engine or changing the rear end. I want the car to be show quality though.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good Luck my advice is to start slow if you want to enjoy the car some...First do all the safety items and then work from there...Things like detailing an engine just take time with not much money....The repalcing worn parts, with better parts a few at a time that way you can enjoy the car and work on it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts