Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you estimate you've put into your car?

Was it worth it? Would you do it again? How much would you put in if you were,, Bill Gates lets say, or someone who had enough money to do as they please

·
11,000 Posts
Too much. But still enjoying it!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Too much. But I'm happily planning how to spend more....

Steve C.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ive got about 7 or 8 k into my car. well thats including the 3 k i bought the car for and the two times i painted it. also includes things i later re-did and stuff. like the different mufflers and carb and some other normal things that go boom. id do it again, perhaps not spending as much for the car itself this time though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hmmm...about 8 grand total, too....thats everything so far. This includes corrections to the previous butchers work. Hopefully I don't become those guys...

·
Registered
448 Posts
money

Got about 7-8K in it already. Plan to have about another 3-4k before I consider it finished. The 428 swap ia adding about 3K.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I can't say because I really don't know. But, if I were to venture a guess, I would say about 13-15K. I've kept all the receipts for the big ticket items, but never totalled them up. Then there's all the nickle and dime stuff that really adds up.

The total is much higher than most others because of going through the car several times. I'm on my second paint job, second engine, third set of wheels and tires, second complete exhaust system and third different transmission. But, when you spread out that figure over 20+ years, (24 to be exact) it doesn't sound all that steep.

It also makes a difference when a car is restored to stock vs. modified. Once it's stock, it is usually left alone. With a modified, styles are constantly changing and I feel the need to keep up with them so as not to look outdated. Plus, the aftermarket is constantly improving stuff like brakes and suspension systems. Who would have thought 20 years ago that anyone would be putting an AOD in their Classic Cat?

Mark

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've spent about $8000 on mine and it is still a bare shell! I still have paint, transmission, suspension, rear end, and interior work to go. Still, just to get to drive the car again after sitting for 15 years will make it all worthwhile. Can't wait for that first test drive (probably around 2010 at the rate I'm going)!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
About $11K in 8 years. 2 paint jobs, engine overhaul. Paid someone else everytime.
Worth it--Yes!
Do it again--hell, yes!
Unlimited money?--$20K
Probably put up to $20K in it in the next 10 years anyway, cause Kitty is not for sale. :p:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think I spent about 6k on the car this far, but about as much on tools, books and other stuff. Do note that is including the shipping part and customs etc...
However, I feel that I'm being ripped of for parts (go figure $120 for a waterpump pulley), but I don't really have a choice.
Will be a real money pit for a while.

But it's loads of fun already, although I need a bigger and heated garage.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
614 Posts
It's a shame your situation is so difficult Matthijs. Especially since you know what how much the parts cost in the USA from being a member here. But on the other hand, you've got something totally exotic over there!

·
Registered
428 Posts
ZeroTolerance said:
It's a shame your situation is so difficult Matthijs. Especially since you know what how much the parts cost in the USA from being a member here. But on the other hand, you've got something totally exotic over there!
A well, it's the price you gotto pay to be different (it's not that I don't want to have a Cougar!...). Right now, it's not too bad ($-wise) living with mom and dad and making a decent salary. However I'm going back to college in August, so funds will drop to an absolute minimum. Planning to have the car running and if possible painted by then.
Should be cool to at least be driving her, would be great if she looked good, but the feeling is all the same.

But this is waaaay off topic.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Each car has a value far & above the $ spent. I have not added up the receipts on any of my cats, but they each have a file folder. When people ask how I can afford to have these cars, I say "of each dollar, the Boss get .25, the Resto gets .25 the conv gets .10, and the rest is for Insurance and gas.
The hourly rate I pay myself is - about .02 that's all I can afford!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've spent less than 2k in a year and a half and I'm not complaining one bit. The way I see it is like this... My wife and I own our cars so we're not paying out $250 to $500 in monthly car payments and huge insurance premiums. We're not rich but we manage to have a few bucks here and there to spend on our cars for repairs and upgrades (for the record... her Volvo has cost more than my Coug) :p:

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car and I'd do it again.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I forgot to mention that my total does not include any jobbed out labor since there wasn't any... did it all ourselves. And YES, I would do it again now that I know what I'm doing.

I'm getting pretty close to the limit on this car. So, if I had an unlimited budget, I would build another one.

Mark

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
How MUCH???? Well.......certainly over $20K but probably not over $24K. Not yet anyway LOL ;-( That may sound like a lot but I wouldn't lose a dime on it IF I sold it....and that's not bloody F#@^king likely! My spending has slowed WAY down after the purchase, body shop and a few other key NOS items .......the rest is all relatively minor. The convertible top is older, but doesn't have any rips or tears, but it's suffers in comparison to the rest of the car and I have new repro weatherstripping for it already. The top is usually down anyway so it's not something I GOTTA do.

If you are going to restore a car you'd better have a good idea what things are going to cost. It's usually cheaper to get one that's already restored/original. Chances are the $250 Cougar will cost you $10,000 to restore, whereas you could have bought a nicely restored one for $8,000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked up my 1970 Boss 302 car, with a 289 in it for $2200 in 1993 it's on the 3rd motor (351C) 2nd tranny (TKO). Body still hasn't been fixed (rust on quarters etc.) 10K Canadian so far. Expect to spend about 30-40K CAN. more to finish over the next 10 years (hopefully less).

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
OK, I have about 9k into the 67( including purchase price). I havn't started on the 70 yet. As for doing it again, the 67 is the fourth car I have done. And yes, I would do it again..My biggest regret is I didn't keep the other three...

Bruce

1 - 20 of 32 Posts