Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, this is great Vindication..

If I had a nickel for every Chevy-Guy I heard calling the GT-E an 80K car, I'd have collected my commission back from Barrett-Jackson by now.:uhoh:

And I've had a gazillion friends calling and emailing their tales of this type of conversation too. Fun Fodder for your Chevy/Ford/Mopar debates..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Congratulatons Brian. I hope you wore that Purple pimpin' hat all the way home....:)

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Not too concerned about the bow-tie crowd but I am officially declaring it the end of the "Too bad Cougars do not get the respect the Mustangs do" era. That statement or anything resembling it should be banned from this site. It has been a false statement for years but the masses knew nothing of the multiple Cougars that have sold in the $125k-$150k range in the last 5 years. Gunner was the Cougar shot heard round the world.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
A lot has to do with the fact that hardly anyone knows about any of the 'special' 1968 Cougars.

When I am asked to describe or explain what a GT-E 7.0 Litre Cougar is to someone, I say that it is a Cougar with a special hi-performance engine and unique trim. I generally ask them if they understand the difference between a Barracuda and a 'cuda? If they say yes, then I say that the GT-E is like a 'cuda with a hemi engine.

When I describe the 1968 XR7-G to a Mustang guy, I tell them it is package similar to the Mustang California Special, but with the availability of an electric sunroof, and has a console similar to the 1968 Shelby.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that if someone steps up and puts a G or a GT into Barrett-Jackson, it'd also knock their socks off..Not to mention a CJ or Boss Eliminator (JOHN!?)

Can you imagine what it'd be like at Barrett Jackson if COUGAR ONE was there? It'd be in the super-exclusive display area like the Kennedy Ambulance, and they would feature it ad nauseum..

The fellow who is in charge of Marketing for Barrett came up to me and spoke for a little while. He raved about the car, said he is personally a big fan of the Cougars, and that "he'd been pushing this car in Board meetings, etc. since seeing the application" That was a very interesting conversation and an eye-opener. That is when I knew this small time exhibitor was onto something here ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Brian.......how about a road trip to Southern Oregon to go get a money maker....... :) (I could probably pay for my furnace with the profit). ;) Who am I kidding, summer is almost here......... just get another car.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Not too concerned about the bow-tie crowd but I am officially declaring it the end of the "Too bad Cougars do not get the respect the Mustangs do" era. That statement or anything resembling it should be banned from this site. It has been a false statement for years but the masses knew nothing of the multiple Cougars that have sold in the $125k-$150k range in the last 5 years. Gunner was the Cougar shot heard round the world.
Don,

I dunno - mixed emotions about this....I'm happy to see a cool car get it's due. BUT, part of me liked the formerly low key nature of the Cougar. Will this usher in an era of madness - such as 1968 302 2V cars being sold on Craigslist and eBay advertised like this:

"one JUST LIKE IT" sold for $165,000 at BJ. Realistically priced at $40,000!

I guess there's good news and bad news. The good news is that the Cougar's getting popular, and the bad news is that the Cougar's getting popular.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don,

I dunno - mixed emotions about this....I'm happy to see a cool car get it's due. BUT, part of me liked the formerly low key nature of the Cougar. Will this usher in an era of madness - such as 1968 302 2V cars being sold on Craigslist and eBay advertised like this:

I guess there's good news and bad news. The good news is that the Cougar's getting popular, and the bad news is that the Cougar's getting popular.
The BEST news is that I will no longer get calls from 6 cylinder mustang guys saying "come pick up this 68 Cougar with 4 lug suspension and a core straight 6 in the trunk".

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm curious... how much does the quality of restoration vary among cars at BJ? I would expect that at least some of the value Brian's car brought was due to his obviously excellent restoration.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I'm curious... how much does the quality of restoration vary among cars at BJ? I would expect that at least some of the value Brian's car brought was due to his obviously excellent restoration.
There are some real piles there... I know they all look good under the lights and BJ likes to market themselves as the best of the best but there is some out and out junk there. Many times you will be watching out in the audience and say to your buddy, "Wow that went cheap!" and then when you go to get a $10 corn dog you walk by it and think "OK, that explains it". They really could do a better job of screening entries as they are always a sold out auction.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are some real piles there... I know they all look good under the lights and BJ likes to market themselves as the best of the best but there is some out and out junk there. Many times you will be watching out in the audience and say to your buddy, "Wow that went cheap!" and then when you go to get a $10 corn dog you walk by it and think "OK, that explains it". They really could do a better job of screening entries as they are always a sold out auction.
Hehe..I see what you did there ;) Dang, I could go for one a doze Corn Dogs again! Ahh Memories..

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Don,

I think that the blue chip cars (GT-E, R, Q, and G code cars) will continue to hold their value or gain while the mundane cars will continue to be worth a fraction of what a Mustang is worth at any given time and in comparable condition.

So many have cashed in on parting Cougars over the last decade that the loss rate of operable and restorable cars has impacted the ability to feasibly do reproduction parts and make it profitable. We're still killing 2 or more to save one every day. That can't go on forever.

When the average car dude goes to buy into a brand he's discovered, like Cougar or something comparable, the first thing he/she will do is Google up parts and accessories.

So, I think the value of the average stuff will just stay where it is or dwindle.
On the bright side, we won't be inundated with d-bags who want to flip cars, aside from the forthcoming fake GTE builders who will surely start trying to prey on the value (mmmeat!) and obscurity (What's a GT-E?) of the model. I reckon Pink and Royce will have their hands full outing scammers over the next couple of years.
I know. I'm Debbie Downer.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I have, however, had some fun with several of my GM friends over the value of Aust's car.
It went something like "yeah, suck on that Chevelle boy!"

So, that was nice.

·
Registered
928 Posts
P1210518.jpg
Floor Pan of 69 Boss 302 Yellow that sold for 53000.00 shortly before the 69 Conv

P1210519.jpg

Hood stripe alignment on the same car

P1210513.jpg

Check out the spacers they used for the front bumper of a 67 mustang resto mod (Shelby Clone) I was surprised the car sold in the mid 30's

P1210514.jpg
Other Side!

P1210526.jpg

Note the kink in the hood of a 57 Stude Golden Hawk! - the car sold for 90000.00 + They talked up the car as to how great it was!!!!

This is just a sample of each what we found while wandering in the field!!!! Of course there are color changes, equipment changes, hardware store bolts etc!

It was not hard to find flaws minor to major on a large percentage of the cars. The bottom line is that in most cases there were good reasons why the cars were bid to the levels that they were. If they seamed low - it isn't that the market is crashing - the car most likely had problems that you don't see on the TV - if the car went high - most likely it was well reflected in the quality.

I would dare to say that the no reserve policy affects a number of owners deciions to bring their cars, thus affecting the overall quality of the cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wonder what that blue standard 68 Gte on ebay last year that sold in the 50's would have brought at BJ?

I think with the Barret Jackson coverage and Stacy Davis Gears project the cougar as a brand will grow. Education is key. There are just a couple books on the 67-73
cougar out there. One was from the 1987 20th anv. Others are muscle mercs. Very little in the channel in terms of the history of the G and GTE cars. All the modifications. It's tough to do a book on cougars because lets face it after 73 the cougar name was slapped on anything that moved. No offense to you four door wagon guys out there. The corvette and mustang have some common themes. Two name plates never have been dropped. Both have ebbed and flowed through some dark patches and re-emerged on top. Both never had their names attached to anything that wasn't sporty.

I think it's time for the ultimate either Mercury or Cougar book to go to press. The corvette and mustang just as a brand stay where they are through exposure.
Or maybe get the Lincoln guys on board to. Saw at BJ that beautiful 63 convert go for 50K Those 60's continentals and Marks are starting to get some attention
Do a book about the whole Lincoln Mercury Brand. I think there would be enough takers. 270 Page full color coffee table book.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think that if someone steps up and puts a G or a GT into Barrett-Jackson, it'd also knock their socks off..
Brian, you want a 67 GT to start with? At least that is what the vin says.

BTW, congratulations on a well executed car!

Lloyd

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
You mean chevy acquaintences :evil:

GOOD JOB BRIAN! Congrats and all that. I shoulda been the 8th gte owner present at the auction. Excuses are like arseknuckles.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sure, one can stick in their Chevy friend and twist it a bit, but the TRUTH is, EVERY manufacture over the years has produced at one time or another, a NEAT car. Well, there is ALWAYS the exception to the rule, one might be the Edsel, hehehe.

So, let's not get carried away here, we all know Mercury did produce a cool car with the Cougar, but it AIN'T the only fish in the pond. IMO

Dale in Indy

1 - 20 of 63 Posts