Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sell my '69 XR-7. It runs pretty well. It has white leather and is complete but needs work. It has been used so it shows it but it is all there. There is also no rust on the car and I have an extra fender to replace the damaged one.
So what I need know is what should sell it for?

Please help ASAP
Thanks Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Is this a 351-2v car? mileage? I assume the engine bay is as dirty as a 32 yr old car should be? How are the brakes and drivetrain? Suspension?

Provided there's no rust, I'd expect $1500-3000 depending on the above. You're biggest problem is that unless it's got a big block, it's really not that special a car and won't command a premium price.

That's my two cents...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Logan said:
Is this a 351-2v car? mileage? I assume the engine bay is as dirty as a 32 yr old car should be? How are the brakes and drivetrain? Suspension?

Provided there's no rust, I'd expect $1500-3000 depending on the above. You're biggest problem is that unless it's got a big block, it's really not that special a car and won't command a premium price.

That's my two cents...
Yes 351-2v. The OD say 29,000 and my dad thinks that that is correct.(not 129,000)
Not registered, no bondo, and has multiple dings but nothing huge. I think it was painted buy the dealer like in '72 or around then because of factory blemishes but I not totally sure.
Brakes need work and so does the cooling system but it does run.
I would say needs new shocks but I have not looked that close.

I was thinking $2800 Crazy?

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
I don't think $2800 is to bad, you may have to come down some to finaly sell. The thing I see that I like is the no vinyl roof. If you could post the drivers door data plate info we can decode it for you. and give you some feed back on the options. you can also go to the Cougar Club of America web site and decode it your self at:
http://www.cougarclub.org/

I like to look up things in my copy of Cougars by The Numbers" by Keven Marti. we can get how many were made this dolor with this trim (interor) ECT. Just wondering, why dont you fix it up some and enjoy it for a while? Neal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
badcatt said:
I don't think $2800 is to bad, you may have to come down some to finaly sell. The thing I see that I like is the no vinyl roof. If you could post the drivers door data plate info we can decode it for you. and give you some feed back on the options. you can also go to the Cougar Club of America web site and decode it your self at:
http://www.cougarclub.org/

I like to look up things in my copy of Cougars by The Numbers" by Keven Marti. we can get how many were made this dolor with this trim (interor) ECT. Just wondering, why dont you fix it up some and enjoy it for a while? Neal.
I'll get a pic of the plate. If I had tons of money I would:( but the truth is I don't and all money I have goes into my Jeep and the fund to get a 2002 F350 PS. Rockcrawling is my true love so I want to sell the Cat to someone that can fix it.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yep, you're right on the money... Start at 2800 and be prepped to drop down to 2500...

The non-rusted shell will make someone a good project car.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It looks like you need a fender extension cap. The fender doesn't look too bad except for the front edge. The front valance needs some work though. Even with the hit the grill is very straight. Do you have any pics of the interior and engine? The interior will show if it's a 29K mile car. My Cougar has 94K and my Mark III has 66K.

Please post the VIN and Data plate info.

I like it a lot, it looks original, which is what I prefer. Anybody want to buy a really nice Mark III? I'd love to have another Cougar, but I doubt I could sell "Mona" LOL. No room for a 4th car either.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
how about providing it to a young kid who will lovingly restore it and drive it everyday??? i can get it looking sweet in 3 months. but i dont have the cash you want for it now.... how about $40 in cash?? i have that RIGHT NOW if ya want it........... sweet sweet car. the white interior is what gets me would ya consider taking a pity offer and give it to me?? he he he. it was worth a shot. but DAMN id get that car if i had the cash..........

·
Registered
364 Posts
selling a car is a lot like selling a house...

If something's broken, fix it before you sell it. You'll get more than the cost of repair out of it because an interested buyer is going to overestimate the cost of repair to cover his/her butt. Clean it up, give a waxing, repair that fender if possible and replace the chrome that's missing and you might find you indeed get $3000. Other wise, seeing as you're in California, you might only get two.

-OR-

You can take some cleverly angled photos, make up some stuff about the car, like it belongs to a poor old widow woman who begged you to sell it for her, carefully word your description so you aren't really lying, put it on eBay, and you might get, oh, let's say $4150!:1poke:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
or you can donate it to my schools auto body program for a tax write off.......... may not interest you as much, but it gets me closer to the car...... he he

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim B said:
It looks like you need a fender extension cap. The fender doesn't look too bad except for the front edge. The front valance needs some work though. Even with the hit the grill is very straight. Do you have any pics of the interior and engine? The interior will show if it's a 29K mile car. My Cougar has 94K and my Mark III has 66K.

Please post the VIN and Data plate info.

I like it a lot, it looks original, which is what I prefer. Anybody want to buy a really nice Mark III? I'd love to have another Cougar, but I doubt I could sell "Mona" LOL. No room for a 4th car either.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html
The replacement fender in question has the cap on it. I would have put it on but it is baby blue and has a LITTLE bit of surface rust on it.

Tag: here is a pic but it's hard to read so here are the number too;
9F93H531956
65B 4 FA 12M 52 6 X
body color trim data d.s.o. axle trans

Thanks, so much and sorry so long
Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Phil,

Here's what the decoder says:
9F93H531956
65B 4 FA 12M 52 6 X
Model Year: 1969
Assembly Plant: Dearborn, Michigan
Body Style: XR7, Hardtop
Engine Model: 351-2V W
Sequential Number: 31956
Body Style: XR7, Hardtop
Exterior Color: Medium Green Metallic
Interior Trim: White Corinthian Vinyl & White Leather with Black
Scheduled Mfg. Date: DECEMBER 12
District Sales Office: Los Angeles, CA
Differential type/Ratio: 3.00 Non-Locking
Transmition Model: FMX Automatic

You obviously have a digital camera, could you take a pic or two of the interior and the engine compartment?

Thanks
Tim B

·
Registered
266 Posts
Although the pedals are somewhat dirty, they don't look to me to be very used. A good test I have found id pull the distributor cap and check the lobes. If they are not very worn then you probably have low mileage. Also check the carb linkages for wear too. The knobs for the headlight switch will also show a lot of wear if the car has a lot of miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
vfret said:
Although the pedals are somewhat dirty, they don't look to me to be very used. A good test I have found id pull the distributor cap and check the lobes. If they are not very worn then you probably have low mileage. Also check the carb linkages for wear too. The knobs for the headlight switch will also show a lot of wear if the car has a lot of miles.
I'll take a look. Thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts