Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I opened my big mouth the other day at the o'rieley nationals with my brother-in-law and father-in-law right in front of me. Well, I said that when I replace the ragged out 302 engine in my cougar that it was going to run 12s. They laughed so I'm going to have to show them whats up. Well, it is going to be awhile before I swap the engine but I need to start planning right now. I'm thinking I'm going to need about 400 Hp at the crank to put down 12s. To make sure I need to know the weight of my car. It is a 68 302 w/ C4 and air. I know it has to be around 3500# I'm just hoping it is less.

Thanks
Austin

Oh, to run 12s I'm going to use a stroker 351/393. I might even get some 6.5 Litre emblems, but I hate wana be's so maybe not. With that many cubic inches I could run the stock 69 heads but if I weigh more than I think then I will have to go to some world products Sr. heads.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe that my '67 weighs about 3015lbs. I was checking out the value on one of the blue book sites(kelly?, Nada?) and it said that the '67 XR7 w/ 289 weight 3015.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Heavyweight '68

According to Lincoln-Mercury data I see referenced most often, a standard '68 Cougar had a curb weight of 3,230 pounds and an XR-7 weighed 3,270 pounds. It is possible that the 3,015 figure was a dry shipping weight, but there should have been two figures, because the XR-7 clearly weighed more than the standard.

Weights and all other Cougar measurements are available in TCCN's EnCATa General Specifications Volume.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
Addendum(b)

Oooops! Sorry, I left out the '67 weights I meant to include. The standard curb weight in 1967 was 3,119 lbs. and the XR=7 was 3,391 lbs. Now my reference to the 3,015 lbs being a dry weight makes more sense.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
669 Posts
Seems on the money...my registration is showing 3194 lbs for my standard '68 with 302 with a few options.

There was an article in Car Craft a while back and this guy had a '68 with a 302 4v that ran 12.52. Had Keith Black pistons, a 256 duration @.050 cam with 509 lift. Stock heads, headers, c4 with 5000 stall and rear gears (can't remember ratio off hand). Oh yah, it put out 408 (or was it 418) horse, dyno'd...
Hope it helps, Bert

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the WPs in there just for you MM. I thought you would bite at that. Altough the Gt40p head wouldn't be bad either. ;) I know they won't support that many inches. I still might go with the stock 351 from PAW and put some money in my third member.

Austin

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah you got me to bite. :) How much are the 351's from paw and what year castings do they use? Your smart to do the bottom end stroker first, you can always do the better heads when funds allow. Thats whats nice abour the WP's though, there cheap and out of the box they work great, with lots of room for porting later. mm

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you want a real big stroker PAW has a 427 Windsor Long Block for $3000, add a couple hundred dinero's for depending on options.
The stock 351W is $1800 for the long block.

·
Registered
794 Posts
According to the HP calculator at :
http://www.smokemup.com/utilities/calc/hp_et.cfm

Your car weighs about 3119 pounds and has a 1/4 mile time of 12.5 seconds. That calculates to approximately 315.63 HP at the wheels, and about 394.53 HP at the flywheel

315 rwhp ? No sweat with a 393.

Dont the cheap stroker longblocks make you wonder about quality when the good ones go for around 5k? They have to skimp somewhere....

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MM,

yeah, they are good heads, especially for the $.

Clev,

I was thinking of PAW when I started this post. I thought they had a 427 as well as a 393. I really don't want to go w/ the 427 because I'm not sure how long it will last. With the 427 I could use the stock heads and get the power I need, but it would cost $3000 for the long block. If I went w/ the 351 then I could upgrade to some WPs for $400 more makeing the 351 long block a $2200 option. Right now I'm not sure witch way I'm going to go because I'm got the peg leg rear and I also want to build an AOD to put in there. That $800 dollar difference would go along way toward my goals.

Austin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crazy,

The reason the PAW stuff is so cheap is because you put it together. If you look at what they send you it is a really good deal. They really are a warehouse and buy in bulk. They just grap all the parts you need and send it to you to assemble. Not a bad deal. With the 351 they use blocks from the 69 to 72 or something like that. I wonder if they could send me a roller block??? If I could get a roller block and some good heads, a 351 might do the trick.

Austin

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Austin, I hear where your coming from trying to maxamize the dollar!! I think the 427 kit is intersting but I'm not crazy about a oversquare motor and there has to be alot of machining for clearance involved. Your right about a 351 with good heads being probably sufficent but if your talking about spending extra for the roller cam I think I myself would spend the extra on the 393 crank instead. You can always upgrade cams and such at a later time. Just my thoughts.mm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts