Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine bought me an engine stand. It is a powerlift engine stand. Built in china supposed to hold up to 1250 pounds. Doesn't look like it is all that beefy. Is this going to be strong enough? Does anyone know how much a 390 weighs?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oK thanks.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have a cheap one, can't remember the make, but it was rated about the same. I have a 428 sitting on it in the back of the garage for the last 15 years. It's still standing, and no sags. I think about it often, if it does collapse it will probably take out a part of a fender and bumper on the cougar. YIKES!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I made a pole with a half circle saddle that rests under the balancer. Sleep better at night lol

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ah, great idea. Simple, but effective. guess what I'll be doing, thanks.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The only problem I have had with cheap stands is the wheels break off when trying to move them with a Big Block mopar on them.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have 2 engine stands but I dont trust them either. My next purchase will be a heavy duty dolly to move the engines around. Once they are set in a locaiton I simply block them up under the balancer as suggested. I thought the 390 weighe din about 500-600 lbs and the 460 was closer to 750ish? Either way you should be fine :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Use good quality bolts to hold the engine to the stand. Years ago I had a 406 FE bolted to my stand and the next day it was drooping badly from the bolts bending. Was lucky I saw it or it would have been on the floor soon after. I replaced them with grade 8 and was fine after that. My stand is just a old cheapy I mainly use to assemble the short block. You can build a wood cradle that'll work in a pinch. I now use a engine dolly with casters and it's the best $60 I spent.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Regular engine stands that bolt to bell housing threads do put a strain on the engine bores, and probably other points of interest, IMHO.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
152 Posts
According to my sources, the 351W is 500lbs, the 302 is 480lbs, 351C is 550lbs, FE big blocks are 675lbs and the 460 is 720lbs. These are factory weights with cast iron as said above...hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Years ago I had a 406 FE bolted to my stand and the next day it was drooping badly from the bolts bending.

We had a member in our Ford club that had a 63 Galaxie convert, 406 with trips. Black lacquer, hot red interior and white top, beautiful.

Do you still have the engine?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
We had a member in our Ford club that had a 63 Galaxie convert, 406 with trips. Black lacquer, hot red interior and white top, beautiful.

Do you still have the engine?
Sadly no I sold the 406 engine to get the tunnelport heads and intake for my current 427 build. The 406 block and heads were date code matched 2J20. Original 3x2 setup complete with carbs and air cleaner. It went to a good home in CA. Guy was restoring a 406 car for his Dad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts