Mercury Cougar Owners banner

How much money have you dumping in your Cougar?

• $0-$1000

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • $1000-$3000

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • $3000-$5000

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • $5000-$7000

Votes: 22 12.3%
  • $7000-$9000

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • $9000 or more

Votes: 76 42.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Fore!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I haven't kept track.

According to my father and my wife, "way too much".......

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
....but the car was free to begin with.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Boy! Here I was feeling pretty good about finally having a "decent weather" Friday (no rain) to cut out of work at noon and go work on the Cougar. And then, SPLASH!!! I was hit by that proverbial bucket of cold water. How am I going to enjoy getting the car ready to paint when all I can do is think about taking two steps back for every one step forward? About how much money I threw away...what a minute...okay, I'm over it.

Cost? Cost? "We don't need to think about no stink'n cost!" Its Friday and I'm going to work on the Coug! As I told my spouse more than once, "its either cars or a girlfriend." (My humorous attempt to put things in perspective). If she knew the true total she would have gotten me two girlfriends by now!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
DUMPED????!?!

INVESTED!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
not enough

·
Registered
173 Posts
do you meen how much we have actualy spent

or hw much the wife knows about ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Acutal vs. Claimed.

It sounds like we are dealing with the tax man when talking about our cars, wives and money we have dumped (er I mean invested). I am in the same boat. I keep two sets of books. I'm well over 10K and need plenty more.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
$100,000 and 15 years of my life! I find each driver resto requires about $10K injection and two to three times that for show car. No wife here to hide from either,lol

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Good investment!

Although I've got quite a bit of money tied up in my Cougar it's been a good investment. My last mental calculation was somewhere north of $20K....I got dizzy so I won't do that
again :burnout:

I think of it like this: if I hadn't gotten my Cougar and my condo when I did, I wouldn't be able to afford either of them now!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I just restored my 69 vert and I have over 16k into it. Way more than I was expecting but NOS and repro parts are way expensive. And yes, my wife knows exactly how much I've put in and she still loves me.......... so she says.

Now the restoration on the G car which is up and coming is another story. I'm sure that will be the test of the marriage!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hey Zoli, over 30k in mine(my fault) but she still loves me. I'm not even done. I'll let you know what my attorney say's... lolololol......
Jon

·
Registered
201 Posts
Listening to you guys I don't feel so bad (stupid). I am into the upper leagues of what you guys are talking about now that I am committed to the body work (did the 351W performance set up last summer 10K+ on that alone).

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Thing to remember is the price of Cougars is as low as it will ever be IMO for the next 20 years and while there are lots of NUTZ (enthusiasts) around now we will eventually go the way of all prior classics. You can get T's and A's for $10K alll day long now.
Cougars are a good investment IMO due to lower initial costs and the value of said Cats goes up every year. I have seen prices triple in fifteen years so in essence a Cat I bought for $150 is now worth $450 ;-)
In 1990 we did up a Boss Eliminator and it cost $18K to do so when BossECats were only valued at $12K. Now they go for up to $40K. Hang onto your cats as long as you can if interested in getting your $$ back. Its a lot more fun having the cougars than having a fat bank account w/little to no interest accruing and for you married guys remember you can always get another wife but Cougars are harder and harder to find as they ain't makin/ em anymore.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Holy Moly Jon, 30k. I don't think my marriage is that strong. I bought the car for $9500 so I am already 1/3 of the way there and with the parts that I've been accumulating I can see how 30k can creep up quickly. God help me.

And Ray, I agree, hang onto these babies. Drive em, enjoy em and watch the values go up. My Hemmings Muscle machine magazine has had (2) write-ups in the first 4 issues. Something tells me that they are going to start appreciating quickly and soon.

I've even thought of just mothballing my 69 that I just restored and hopefully it will go up enugh to recover my cost plus....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great News!

So in 15 years mine should be worth around $100,000! It does not make any financial sense at the moment but to hell with sense and logic. With only fear and good judgement holding me back away I go.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Kitty

I bought Kitty for $1500 and got about $11,000 total in her thoughout all the years. She will never be worth that much to anyone else but me. :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well I don't buy new cars and see them depreciate (good justification for whatever I spend). I quit keeping track after 6 months and only worry about how to rat hole enough for the next part or tool. No 12 step program here. My wife doesn't know because I don't know.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts