Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I go about installing my MSD 6AL and customizing it a bit, I am wondering how many members use an electronic ignition box with programmable rev limit? The reason I ask is that I have devised a continuously variable "Dial-A-Rev-Limit" to use with my 6AL so that I dial up whatever rev limit I want at any time.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, if you spend more than five minutes trying to post the poll part, you cannot post the poll!

The options were to be:

1. Use one and am happy with fixed rev limit "pills".

2. Use one, but would love a continuously variable, set-on-the-fly rev limit function.

3. Don't use one, but having a continuously variable, set-on-the-fly rev limit function might make me go get one.

If you use something other than a 6AL, so state.

The function would be a small 10-turn lockable counter dial that you set to your desired rev limit.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
This this is a great Idea Bob. Would it work with a standard 6A that doesnt have rev limit? Or would it have to be rev limit capable. Did you a price point in mind at this time?

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,

No, would only work with the "L" models with RPM "pills", at least for the moment. I have not opened up my brand new 6AL box (kind of hesistant to do so) to see what the rev limiter function consists of (and if it could be added to other ignitions which do not have the function). I have only figured out how to make the rev limiter variable on the pill equipped versions.

I see they have out a 6AL "digital" version now, have improved the wiring to be a single connector and the rev limit is now selectable (but not sure how, I was not able to look at the instructions when I tried on their site this morning). However, I am pretty sure the rev limit set stays with the box as it does on the 6AL. That fact doesn't work too well for me and thus my impetus to figure out another way.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
992 Posts
Bob I use the msd digital 6, which has the 2 dials u set for rpm limit- one in thousand rpm increments and one in hundred rpm increments. You use a all flat blade screwdriver to dial th in on the the top edge of the box where the wires come out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I am an Option One guy.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I use one of the 6ALN (Nascar) boxes. I'm fine with pills and don't need to dial it in with a doohickey, but I would like a usb connected docking thingamajig that would let me use my lappy to set and reset the rev limit, ala the ecu map in an EFI car. Like a flashable pill.

·
Registered
447 Posts
installing a msd street fire ignition box with a new billit dist on the motor
it has 2 small dials one one end for the rev limiter
I would be intrested in seeing your new device

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
And here is why I need to remote the rev limit pill (and decided to make it continuously variable while I was at it):

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, but why would your rev limit be different on different occasions? I though that rev limit was function of the torque curve, and the mechanical limits of the engine. Is this sort of like a valet switch that would only allow say 2500 rpm for the valet to move the car?

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Is this sort of like a valet switch that would only allow say 2500 rpm for the valet to move the car?
Yeah, like he's gonna let ANYONE else even hold the keys to the ECI-Mobile. :1poke:

I'm an option 1 guy myself. I don't even remember which pill I have plugged in right now that's how often I think about my RPM limit.

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Nope, it's dial-a-limit for me, based on where the box is located! Just because I can mostly. And yes, I can set the limit to whatever I want whenever I want for whatever reason. Will I set it and forget it (ala Ron Popeil!)? Probably. But, let's say I want to raise or lower the limit sometime. I'd have to pull the dash pad given where I could find space to mount the box. No thanks. Flexibility is important to me and in order to maintain that where I chose to mount I had to either remote the pill or remote and make the pill a control. I chose the control.

·
Registered
576 Posts
so ... ahhhh ... what happens when your MSD box dies and you're at a show ... it happens you know ... and it happens in the RAIN ... just saying ... not that I am outing anyone *cough rkt cough* ... makes it rough to replace ... why mount it behind the dash ??

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
so ... ahhhh ... what happens when your MSD box dies and you're at a show ... it happens you know ... and it happens in the RAIN ... just saying ... not that I am outing anyone *cough rkt cough* ... makes it rough to replace ... why mount it behind the dash ??
Hey! I heard that!

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just can't help myself and don't really expect people to understand, it must be an ECI thing. First, it is all about stealth, to look at the engine compartment, people really won't know I use one, there won't be extra holes and "stuff" on my fender aprons, it will be as clean as stock wiring. Second, the anti-theft help it adds being installed this way is significant. (Edit: some things need to be kept to one's self). Third, the MSD will lead a sheltered life behind the dash. Fourth, see the first sentence, if I wasn't making people scratch their heads, I wouldn't be the ECI, right? It makes perfect sense to me and if it fails, especially in the rain, I can fix it from inside the car! Taking the dash pad out is not THAT bad.

Bob

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just following up (and fixing my broken photo links), not sure where I posted the end result, but here it is:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Just don't forget to go past the first number twice, stop, go back to the second...... ;>) I was thinking MSD makes something pretty much like that, but I'm thinking about the advance/retard one I guess. As long as you don't miss a shift - you should never need it anyways jeeesh LOL let us know how it works out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts