This is in no way an advert. for myself
just for fun and to say here take this and call me
when you can wait 2 years to have your car worked on
and a bunch of cash :smoke:

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I hope you're not really from the income tax department!

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Back to your original question...

I tried to make the extra hours legit, and got so much grief from both provincial and federal governments, that i closed the company. Went for cash, no receipts, and it got to be interesting income, but you get to a point where everyone wants freebies and/or don't care when they contact you at suppertime etc...

I only deal in barter now (one of the last untaxed areas) like:"you make my cat go fast, and i'll make your computer go fast" It really makes what you do for a living more fun!

Jean

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I don't have enough time for me own projects. I will help people out, but don't take on other peoples projects at my garage. Usually they want it done quickly and cheap, and you end up not being friends afterwards. I've seen other friends do that and I decided not to travel down that road. Much rather just do work for myself then the only one that has to be happy when it's finished is me.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Only on my own car, I quit working on others a long time ago. So now my weekends consist of working on the ambulance, but I also have the FEMA gig as a member of the Emergency Medical Reserve Corps. I guess if I have to breath life into something again, I opt to do it for humans.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Even now that I don't have a honey do list --- I still wouldn't have the time to work on somebody elses --- since Im always working on mom/dad/sister/friends cars/houses/etc. AND I have plenty of my own projects waiting patiently. I turn people down quite a bit becuase generally they want somebody cheaper than a shop - I consider it overtime at for me, so I won't be cheaper than a shop anyway. I like Johnboys idea though - trade, hmmmm depends on what she looks like I suppose! ;>)

·
Registered
524 Posts
I tried the barter system but I usually get the sh!tty end of the stick. I end up rebuilding a car to pass inspection for someone to install a screen door.:confused:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I don't do a lot of cash/money exchange, except for precious metals in coin form. Troy ounce of silver is better than paper to me. Gold, for sure.

I mostly barter for work on motorcycles. Most owners of classic cars nowadays who pay or trade for work don't understand what goes into it.
I'm not sure there's a tougher market out there to do work for than people who think that modifying a 40+ year old car is as simple as baking a pan of brownies.
Motorcyclists will at least understand that shortcuts in work lead to death.

I'm getting old and grumpy. I don't have patience for this stuff like I used to...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've been asked many times by people but turn it down. Not enough time for my projects, stuff around the house, and 2 teenagers as it is. Plus as stated before, most people don't realize the amount of work needed to do the job right.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I've been asked many times by people but turn it down. Not enough time for my projects, stuff around the house, and 2 teenagers as it is. Plus as stated before, most people don't realize the amount of work needed to do the job right.
Ditto. Many folks don't realize what it takes to do something right. Just the hours needed to correctly clean, prep, re-paint, detail & reassemble a 69 front grill assy is a very time consuming endeavor. But worth it when done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts