Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 cougar xr7 convertible 351 4v 4 speed.
Anyone know how many were made?

Thanks,
rbay

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 1969 cougar xr7 convertible 351 4v 4 speed.
Anyone know how many were made?

Thanks,
rbay
Rounded numbers, 24,000 1969 XR7's with about 4,000 verts. My guess and it is only a guess as I don't have my "Cougar By The Numbers" book here, maybe, 20 % of those are your engine code. And then down to the 4 speed, probably less than 500. These would be my guestimates but probably pretty close.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rounded numbers, 24,000 1969 XR7's with about 4,000 verts. My guess and it is only a guess as I don't have my "Cougar By The Numbers" book here, maybe, 20 % of those are your engine code. And then down to the 4 speed, probably less than 500. These would be my guestimates but probably pretty close.
Thank you,
This Cougar reminds me of a Mach1 I had, drag pack car.
No extras on this car, no power steering, no power brakes, front drum brakes. Traction lock 4 speed. Odd for a XR7 convertible, don't you think.

rbay

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a similar car, but no PS? That is rare. If you post the VIN, we can help decode the car to determine if the PS was removed, it may have been born with PS. Mine had drums on all the corners and no PB. One of the first upgrades was to convert my drums to front power disk brakes, makes a world of difference! And PS helps with a stick, since you don’t always have two hands to maneuver the steering wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a similar car, but no PS? That is rare. If you post the VIN, we can help decode the car to determine if the PS was removed, it may have been born with PS. Mine had drums on all the corners and no PB. One of the first upgrades was to convert my drums to front power disk brakes, makes a world of difference! And PS helps with a stick, since you don’t always have two hands to maneuver the steering wheel.
thanks for the response.
Vin. 9F94M551519
Door tag, 76B 4FA 25B 54 R 6

rbay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the response.
Vin. 9F94M551519
Door tag, 76B 4FA 25B 54 R 6

rbay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Per my own car's Marti report:
100,065 '69 Cougars...
4,024 were xr7 convertibles...
1,216 came w MCode 351-4v's...
67 had manual 4-speed wide ratio trans!

I believe the close ratio is rarer yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Post a pic. Always cool to see rare cars.
Seems strange an XR7 doesn’t have P/S.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has suggested this. Get a Marti report. Using your VIN #, it will tell you exactly how many were made with your options, etc.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe the Marti reports give exact numbers. For example, that year, that color, that trim, that motor. I'm more looking how many XR7 convertibles with the drive options I have were made. I believe the the first response from Splinehead is more realistic then the Marti reports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a 1969 XR7 hardtop with most of the options. S code, 4 speed (wide ratio), A/C, PS, PW, rear defroster, am/fm, console, but manual drum brakes and a regular 3.0 rear end. I prayed to stop. I converted it to PDB from parts off another Cougar and what a difference. It was ivy yellow with a black interior. Everything worked. I sold it for $16k in 2010 to a guy who really liked that engine and 4 speed. It did have some rust bubbles behind the rear wheels, but was otherwise in good shape. I wonder what it’s worth today?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts