Votes: 35 10.6%
  • Too long to remember

Votes: 21 6.4%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres another poll for everyone. How long have you owned your current Cougar? If you own more than one, put down the Cougar you've owned the longest.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got my first Cougar in 1990 a 1987 XR7 with 5.0 standard. I yanked the engine bored it 30 over, threw in a Eagle 5.0 HO crank, eagle flat top pistons, Crane 5.0 HO cam(? cant remember specs), 5.0 computer, chip, and wiring harness, 1966 289 Hipo ported heads, 28# injectors, extrude honed the intake plenum/manifold , 65mm (? been a while) throttle body, shorty headers to xflow dual exhaust, 2800 stall and stock aod with B&M shift kit, 235/60r15 bfg, and an 8.8 locker 3.73 rear.

Ran that cat in the low 13's and high 12's once (12.93/102 best ever on streets) until the AOD grenaded on me in 1992. I was too poor (2 kids and military salarly) then to continue with it and my ex made me sell it :(

Just picked up my 1967 Cougar in October 2002 after a 10 year Cougar hiatus and am starting the process all over again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bought mine last year next month:) and by the looks of it it will be sold by next month. So i wil have to start alll over again...LOL

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've got mine about 13 months now (that is got it at the house for 13 months, shipping took another month... so 14 months in possesion).

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
965 Posts
I bought my first Cougar, a red XR7 conv. in the summer of '97. I gave the car to my son(DroptopCougr) last summer so it is still in the family. Last summer in June, I bought two 69 convertibles for myself, a white h code and a dark aqua mettalic m code. I am currently driving the h code while I restore the m code to be my show car. I am trying to have the m code ready for the Lousiville East Nationals next year.

Jim

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Bought mine trashed in 1991, and named her "Blue Thunder." 4V upgrade in 1992, a new interior and top in 1993, fresh paint in 1999, engine rebuild, rack and pinion and AOD in 2001.

I retired in November, and it became my daily driver...has recently developed a minor (when cold) valve "tick." Am considering a name change to "Timex"...their commercial used to be something like "takes a licking, and keeps on ticking!"

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Mine's been in my possession for 25 years this year. I'm almost 37 so I'll let everyone do the math to determine when I actually got it. I'm almost done with the third build-up and it should be ready to go another 25, or at least until my (yet) unborn baby is ready to take it over. OH GOD!!!!????:cry:

Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Bought the first one (69 XR7) in Jan 77, second (68 Std) in June 83, bought the current one (69 XR7) in Sept 00.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
I bought my 68 Standard in 1987. The motor was in the trunk and the transmission was in the rear seat. It was to be hauled off to the salvage yard the next day. I paid $200 and was told where there was another one for sale. The second was an XR7 but had been hit in the rear and in the front and had no motor or transmission. The owner said I could have it if I would haul it off in the next couple of days! So, I did.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Picked it up in August of 95 when I was 17. Everything except has been gone trough at least once, except for the rear end, its next.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Picked mine up in the summer of '99. Trailered it 400 miles home and it had been sitting under a tarp since, until a month ago when my neighbor graciously allowed the use of his garage to start the restoration process (while we build my pole barn). It was only driven 3 times since I bought it for a total of maybe 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Got my first one about 1979, it was a 68 Std. Then I got the one I should have kept, a 1969 XR7 conv. triple white w/ 351 2bbl,FMX,p/top,p/windows,ps,pdb,p/ant,AC,tilt/away,cruise control, had that one for 10 years. I've never found another one that loaded. I've since had several 68,69 and 70 std and XR7's thru the years. Until the current pair, the 67 I've had a little over 6 years and the 70 a about a year and a half... This is by no means a complete list, I can't remember all the cars I've bought and sold...

Bruce

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bought my '73 XR7 Convertible right off the show room floor!!!!

Poor thing's had to put up with me for 30 years.

·
OK Cougar Guy
52 Posts
Pcked Mine

Got my 69 XR7 in 73,, Torn down for the 3rd time. This has been a long drawn out restore. Kids, divorce, colleges, weddings, Bought a Standard 69 last year fairley original for $400. Just got it towed back to Arkansa from in-laws farm. Hasn't been run since 1995. I added some fluids 2gals of gas.. primed the carb.. Started right up!! Such a rush to hear a 351 kitty again after such a long time!!

GG

·
Registered
206 Posts
10 years this month...I can't believe it's been that long already! I'm sure I'll have her until I'm gone. I bought her during my second year of college and even proposed to my wife in it. My little boy is only a year and a half old, but he's always pointing at her in the garage and he likes to play in her. Daddy's so proud!:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought my Elim. in the summer of 1992 when I was in grade 10. This was 1 year after I got my first 70' when I was 15. My dad still has that one parked on some guys acreage. Unfortunately time and Canadian winters have not been kind to her. One day after the Elim. is done I might try and restomod it.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I bought my current Cougar in 2001. My previous xr7gt I bought in 1998 and sold in 2001.
I am going to get another one sometime soon, as I must feed the addiction.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ive had the 69 since 10/23/99 so about 3 and a half years. the car was in the same family since it was new and had 89K miles on the ticker. since then 2 more have come into my hands and well... there will have been 2 fewer Cougars around after the fact. i had the 70 for about 3 months and ive had Sharky about the same amount of time. yes, i plan on another 69 soon as well, because yeah... the itch to build another is starting again.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Islands in the Stream, that is what we are...

Ouch...sorry about the brothers Gibb lead-in *cringe*

I Bought my basketcase (I need to scan those pics, I really do) in (I think) 1992 or 93. For 1000 bucks. My ex brother-in-law bought it for the 351C that was in it, so he swapped that and the 302 (or what HE thought was a 289 :lol2: ) that was in his '67 Ranchero. So I ended up with a towed-to-my-house, non-street legal basketcase Cougar. I had always wanted one since my across-the-street neighbor got a hot one for his first car in, say, roughly '70 (and MINE has always HAD to be a '67).

Anyhow, after pouring close to 20K into it, I've got a nearly fully restored Cougar worth about 8K (on a good day and selling to a blind man)!!! The only things I HAVEN'T touched yet is the interior upholstery and the windows (several of which I will replace in the coming year or so!). I'm proud to say I've done ALL the work myself EXCEPT (1) putting the posi in the rearend (2) rebuilding the C-4, and (3) the paint. I'm tellin' ya, damn near every part on the car is newer than it's parts were when it rolled off the lot!!! Go ahead, TRY and name something that's not new or painstakingly restored to new condition. I double-dog dare ya!

It's been in over 30 shows (including about 5 Hot August Nights (Reno), and 4 Cherry's Jubilees (Monterey),and MANY more Northern/Central California shows. Ummmm :eek:...ask me if I've ever won anything but a firm handshake and a "special" prize from my wife-to-be *wink,wink,nudge,nudge* :evil:

Anyway, got it slammed a couple years ago in a hit-n-run in a local parking lot *sobbing* but all the metal work is fixed, so I just have to decide what I want to paint it with (we're thinking perhaps a bright purple or something that ghost flames will look good on!).

Anyway, that car has seen some good and bad times with me, almost as many as my 18-year-old cat (Samantha).

Sheesh, it's kinda sad when the longest relationships you've ever had are a car and a cat :rolleyes: - Oh well, my wife and I are fixin' ta change all that...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts