Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody had my c4 transmission out at the shop last week to change my bellhousing and when it was put back in i noticed a serious leak ...guy at the shop said it is coming from the transmission pump seal ....it is leaking between the bellhousing and transmission how likely is this seal to leak ...it never leaked before and it was not leaking when i took it in to get the work done...also when he finisihed the job and we checked it it did not have any leaks but when i got home it was leaking...he said the pump had to build up the pressure. he said he can take the c4 to the transmission shop to replace the seal. just want advice from you guys on here is this a normal problem or may he have goofed up somewhere? also has anybody had this seal leak on them

·
Registered
913 Posts
Any time you remove the trany,and reinstall ,you should replace the front seal!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Any time you remove the trany,and reinstall ,you should replace the front seal!
thanks towcat for the response but it does really not help with my solution my question was in reference to the transmission pump seal is that what you are refering to cause i thought the front seal was more for the engine and the transmiision pump seal for the transmission

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What prompted you to change the bell housing?
woodsnake it had issues beyond repair but back to my original question can the transmission pump seal just go like that and would you replace it everytime you had the transmiision out

·
Registered
390 Posts
When the trans is pulled the torque converter is usually taken loose from the flexplate and removed right along with the trans, some guys will just leave the torque converter bolted to the flywheel, then fight with jiggling the trans and turning the flex plate to coax the torque converter shaft back into the front pump, this is where the pump seal gets damaged.
It's simple to install a new seal ($7.99) when the torque converter is out.
I have no idea what steps were taken to replace the bell but my guess is down and dirty.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it possible that they damaged the transmission pump also.... he is saying he has to take to a transmmison shop to change seal ....why though if it is easy

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just want my car fixed now i have to decide if i will let him repair what he broke at no cost to me or take to a transmission shop . just out of curiosity when it comes to transmission pumps for c4 is there just one type or do these things come in high performance versions and so on

·
Registered
30 Posts
Depending on the year of the C4 he had to take the pump bolts loose to swap the bell housing.

Same bolts that hold the pump in also hold the bell housing on.

you can see in this pic the bolts that are threaded out are the one I was talking about

1 - 10 of 10 Posts