Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to install the front fender extension moulding without taking the fender off and removing the fender extension? The clip is the problem. I cannot access the nut inside the extension to tighten the clip. I had to remove the fender and extension to get it off. Is there a trick to getting to the nut that tightens the clip?

·
Registered
59 Posts
In order to get the fender extension off on your 68. First remove the front wheel to allow better access to the inner fender area. Then remove the splash sheild and then the three nuts on the fender extension and "bob's your uncle" Tighten the nut or replace the fastner on the moulding and re-install in the reverse order. If the extension that you want to remove is the drivers side then you will also have to remove the vacumn tank. There is no need to remove the fender itself. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I removed mine while the extension was on. what I did was to just hold the nut I could get a very small wrench on it but couldn't turn it. I removed the inner two screws or whatever they were and had just the clip left. I removed the chrome from the clip and the then while holding the nut with the wrench turned the clip. I don't know if the clip would be strong enough to put together that way or not? Then slide the aluminium piece back over the clip and install the last two fastners.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Since my extensions cannot be removed. I had to put the trim pieces back on with the extensions still attached to the car. It's tough but do-able. I had to do it WITHOUT the headlight assemblies installed.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Since my extensions cannot be removed. I had to put the trim pieces back on with the extensions still attached to the car. It's tough but do-able. I had to do it WITHOUT the headlight assemblies installed.
Oh, I bet I could get your extensions removed from them fenders of yours.....:chain:

(sorry, couldn't find a sawzall lopping off a fender extension shrub)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
1/4 inch drive stuff is helpful for working in those close quarters...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I had better luck using a small open end wrench. 3/8" or 5/16". Can't temember what the nut size is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts