Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know approximately how fast my Cougar will fly because I really don't want to test it...ha ha...have to make sure this thing is as stable as it seems...so, in a '69 with a 351 4 barrel, all stock all the way through the car...how fast?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: How Fast?

I have taken mine easily to 120mph, and will go faster,(its pretty much stock as well...for now) but I didnt want to push it, but I also have 2:75:1 gears in the rear end (Helps with top speed). It just all depends, but I would say well over 100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a '70 351C 2V and easily got it over 110 before I let off the gas. Kind of scary going that fast. The car seems to almost float and feel very light. You'll do better.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
1. Top Speed 106mph
2. Top Speed 112mph
1. Nissan 1400
2. Ford Sierra V6
Cougar, well, we have not yet opened her up, but come on all of you, lets hear what your cougars do, like Alex, I would like to know what we can take her up to, having spoken to the PO [finally] and being told that the motor is 'sweet', we are now dying for her to get out the bodyshop so we can take her for a nice looong drive.
So.....how fast do you go??:D
Dayle

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had my 68 with a 302 (aggressive cam and Holley 60cfm, headers and a 3.73 - 9 inch posi) to 105. That's close to top end, but it got there QUICK!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Why is no-one willing to share 'top speeds'?

·
Registered
300 Posts
ok, well, I had my bike up to 142mph...

the cougar? well, the front end sucks so I'd say top speed is near 70 in that rattle bucket... but it's pretty!! :) (from a distance)

Robert

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Robert, what bike have you got?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Top speed is not as important as 1/4 mile times in a street car because unless you live where it is very flat for long stretches you can't even wind your car up all the way. On the interstate when returning from the 2001 nats I had wvcat up to 90, when I let up it shifted into overdrive. The other day I had it up to 100 but that was also in drive, and uphill too! Even though she handles pretty good I'm not sure it would be a good idea to hit 6500 rpm in od, eeven with the 3:73"s I'm running. At 80 mph in od I tach 2200 rpm.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let's see. I can only remember being foolish a few times. 1.Kawasaki 900 (with a passenger)- 135. The speedo went to 160 but the passenger was yelling and crying and the bike was hard to keep straight.
2. 65 Galaxie -Buried it
3. 69 Chevelle-Buried it
4. 71 Chevelle-Buried it
5. 97 Mustang-Buried it
I can't remember what the speedos went to on some of the cars but it was cool to "Bury" the speedo.
6. My newest acqusition 71 Cougar-90
I just had to pass a newer Mustang on I-75. He was going 70 in the left lane. Got up behind him and just blew by him in a few seconds in the center lane lol He tried to catch up but had no chance. I had to get off at the next exit

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have a 71 cougar and when it had the 351c 4v w/ c6 and 3.5 gears i had it up to 115mph my speedo said 120 but since it came with 3.00 gears and i put in the 3.5 gears i'd say 115mph:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
The bike was just a 2000 Katana 600... Was fun, but I tended to scare myself in the canyons more and more... so, now I have the cougar.. :D

Robert

·
Registered
59 Posts
FokkerJ's cougar (god rest its soul) has seen 150mph! I wasn't in the car at the time, but his mom can vouge for it. He had a 302 with roush 200 heads and a comp. ratio of about 11.32, also with a .545/.558 cam. A faulty rod ended that. Now we use the piston and rod, cam, and a solid lifter at our oriantations now. It gets some pretty wicked responses. Now it seems he is going even meaner than before, but I'll let him tell that tale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How fast ?

Hello Folks,
Lets see .... how fast .... I have an xr-7 with a modified 351 cleveland 2-v heads. with a 250 hp shot of nitros. My wife can confess to this ... anyway we raced a saleen mustang ( GAVE HIM 50 FT HEADSTART ) and blew his doors off in a qtr mile. we just had a dino run show 387 hp in the rear tires and a clocked speed of 160 miles per hour ( thats as fast as i dare take it , i thought the thing was falling apart under me ) :eek2: :eek2:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Okay, that be fast, anyone else who can beat that, just working it out into kilometres, its 240km/h and 256km/h respectively, not bad. Not that I would recommend anyone trying that on the open road unless they have good tyres and very good brakes.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I first got my 1990 Taurus SHO, I took the needle to the end (close to 140 I believe) that was the fastest i've ever gone.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I took a ride in a L1011 once, I think that bucket of bolts may have been faster than 140. LOL, I have driven one of my cats over 120 once or twice.(or at least I had the speedo paged) I also paged the spedo in my 57 olds I had in high school and in a 62 cutless I had in Collage. I was much younger and not quite as smart as I am now. If I ever try a top end run agion It will be in a just broken in new car or a fully tested fresh rebuilt cat. I plan to live to a ripe old age. At least another 20 years. How ever I get a kick out of smoke shows:1poke:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Got my cat to 110mph about three days ago, felt good, very smooth. With the 3.00 gears I think it was 100mph at somewhere around 4k.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I think it's all about the 1320.
I don't know how you guys are even finding a place to drive at speeds like that. Around here, traffic is to bad or the CHP would nail my arse.

The only place I could think of to hold a 115+ speed is on the way to Vegas on the 15.

I wouldn't even think of taking my cat that fast until the entire suspension was redone

As for my cat, it slow as dog mookie (for now)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Crazy come on up to the desert and visit i can show you roads that go straight till the dawn and nobody on them. most nights coming home from work I dont pass a single car.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts