Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll start:
Mine is close to stock, but with no smog on the 428CJ, different tail pipes, and a Chrome Cobra Snake on the dash board. What is acceptable, to you, before it's toooooo far from Heaven? Is it Custom body work? A Blower out the hood?

I've seen some stunning restomods that were very tastefully done. What works, what doesn't? Why?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'd have to say big, ugly wheels. There are a lot of wheels out there that just don't look good to me on older cars. Just a personal opinion.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Does a negative amount count? I'm busy changing back the PO's changes to original equipment and period accessories....

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The current plans for the 69 convertible include:

(to be completed by April) 17x8" wheels; repaint gold; QI headlights; bucket seats from Japanese coupe; aluminiumised dash panels; custome instrument cluster; custom door panels with speaker boxes; CD player; Mazda electric mirrors; electric door motors; remote central locking; inertia reel seat belts all round; lowered 2";

(to be completed by December) lexus 4.2 litre quad cam engine and 4 speed auto box; 3.5:1 diff; 4 wheel discs with cross drilled rotor; 70 glass; climate control; column controls for all functions; multi-speed intermittent wipers

(future) independent rear suspension; rack and pinion; led sequencing tail lights

Guess it will be a little bit away from stock by the time it is finished

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I prefer cars with a stock and "period" look. If it was available back then, cool. If it was available from the factory (hood scoops, spoilers, rims, sunroof, etc) cool. Some folks like 17" rims with bicycle sidewalls - not my cup o' tea. I also don't care for pro stock 6" snorkel hood scoops. That's just me.
I do however like street rods - T buckets with blowers, chopped and channeled lead-sleds, etc.
But I prefer that most cars from the 60's and early 70's remain pretty close to stock looking.
Under the hood almost anything goes. I have to admit that I cannot get used to EFI under a Cougar or Mustang hood, but what the heck.
I absolutely prefer a stock interior. Stock gauges, stock dash, original seats.
But as a general rule if it's tastefully done I will probably like it. If it's a slapped together POS then I may not like it, but I certainly wouldn't insult the car or it's owner. I just walk to the next one.... ;)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I prefer the sleeper look, make it go, make it stop, make handle, make it safe. But keep the look as close to stock as possible...just my opinion.
I do like customs but I prefer a stock look...

Bruce

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have bolt ons, intake, carb and exhaust stuff, different color paint, stock interior right down to the AM FM Stereo. only aftermarket thing in the interior ( that i can think of offhand anyway ) is the tach mounted on the column. wheels are stock but different hubcaps but other than that its pretty stock. suspension wise its lowered a touch in the front and has the automatic factory rear lowering option ( old springs :D ) its not that far from original at all and if for some reason i wanted to make it factory again, its not hard to do. biggest thing ill have to do is repaint it and convert it back to a single exhaust. everything else is a bolt on. no biggie. it was just an H code Coupe as well ( albeit a sport special ) but i dont really feel like hacking up a car i drive everyday. next one will be a different story though lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm with you GT390XR7...

My 'X' code has been massaged and is now more of an 'S' code 390. However, it has period wheels (factory mags - just not part of the options orderd) and decent tires.

I'm going to make it run faster, stop quicker and handle like a Cobra. But I am going to keep it looking like it did when it rolled off of the assembly line...:)

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
boss 351 stroker motor, tunnel ram with 2 660's, thinking of 5 speed, everything else will be stock. If I ever finish the thing that is. :)

Rick

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AlphaCat -

Engine mods to the tune of ~400hp 351C-4V (will be running mid 12s or faster).
Trans - has shift kit and high stall (3500 or 4000rpm) converter.
Rear end - swapped out 3.25 traction lock for 3.91 detroit locker
Exhaust - headers, 3" pipes to Flowmasters, stock appearing tailpipes, but larger (2-1/2") diameter.
Tires and wheels - currently 16x7 98 Crown Vic handling package wheels and 225/60/16 tires. Couldn't afford going rate for 15x7 aluminum slots (70's period wheels)
Body - stock except for GT or Eliminator scoop Changed 73 vertical divided taillights and headlight grilles with 71-72 horizontal divided units.
Paint - stock color but with one added pinstripe at top bodyline
Interior - stock. aftermarket am/fm cassette and equalizer/booster, four speakers
Suspension - KYB gas shocks, urethane bushings
Other - traction bars and subframe connectors (may get ladderbars/coilover rear suspension at later date). Weight reduction program (delete front bumper reinforcement and isolators, floor sound deadener) A/C deleted

BetaCat -

Engine - slight upgrade during rebuild. Original CJ cam questionable so installed Crane 260 econopower cam, Holley 600 vac sec carb.
Trans - rebuilt with shift kit
Tires & wheels - 14x6 painted magnums with white letter 215/70/14 tires
Rear end - swapped 3.25 traction lock for 3.70 traction lock. (still have 3.25 posi pig)
A/C deleted

All else stock

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, after looking for some of the rare parts I need. I have come to the conclusin that as long as I can reverse anything I modify I'm going to fix my cougar up the way I want. I think as long as it looks close to the original but it's the way you want it. Go for it. You have to enjoy it.

Here are some of my plans:

Power Windows
New Stereo
Alarm
Power locks
17x8 rims
nice tires
Keeping the console, it's not on my report but it's nice.
Gauges where the ashtray goes for the console.
Custom Steering wheel
Tinted Windows

·
Registered
183 Posts
I personally like to keep my car as close to stock looking as possible. For the motivation department however I personally believe that the faster the "stock" looking car is the more impressive. My Cougar XR-7 Conv. sports the original color and XR-7 graphics. I have only added the front spoiler and Eliminator Hood Scoop. The motor however is another story. It is a well built 351 Cleveland that has just turned 7.50 @ 93 mph in the 1/8th this past weekend. It really draws attention when a "stock" looking 3650 lb. car rips off an E.T. like that and then proceeds to drive 40 miles back to the house..

Kirk

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
my clone is getting shaved and adding poppers and some eliminator graphics while keeping to the origanl style they will be diffrent. the interior will be total two tone custom and the wins=dsor is bored and stroked with edelbrock upgrades and the chrome goodies. the 70 is planned for a ghost paint scheme that as of yet i will not reveal but a much milder motor as it is heidis. the 429 ranchero...need we say more. and the 57 bird will keep the origanel color of a soft mint green but will have ghost flames and interior will be specially done with flame treatments to match. the front end will be mustang two with wrack and pinnion and disc and the engine will be sent to john mummerts to be built so i keep the old horsepower but have alternator and such. I also intend on the cats to add pwoer windows and use the lifts switch that incorparates your window crank so up the window goes up and down it goes down really trick. and the 68 well lets just say can we say gte clone?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Where do we start?
My 70 vert, stock color,stock color interior and stock interior,stock body(w the addition of a FOMOCO hood scoop) Now drivetrain,rearend 31 spline torqline limited slip differential,31 spline axles. 15x6 weld wheels in the front 15x8 weld wheels in the rear, 255 60 r 15 in the rear 215 70 r 15 for the front.FMX tranny TRANS GO shift kit,TCI11 inch 2400-2600 stall speed.Exhaust 2 1/2 inch alumnized w/H pipe 2 chambered flowmasters.Engine bored .030 over mild built engine only thing stock on the engine is the crank,rods, and heads, and block.Eliminator will be one radical car when its done.But will keep the stock appearance on the outside but all RADICALon the drivetrain.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
TLogan53 said:
Well, after looking for some of the rare parts I need. I have come to the conclusin that as long as I can reverse anything I modify I'm going to fix my cougar up the way I want. I think as long as it looks close to the original but it's the way you want it. Go for it. You have to enjoy it.

Me too! shane:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I agree with Tlogan. As long as I can return it to original Go for it. My car was a 1 owner UNTOUCHED other than a repaint 4 yrs ago (Still had the ugly original std hubcaps on it). I bought it sight unseen off of e-bay this fall believe it or not rust free running with a bad LF wheel cylinder for 3k. I got lucky! But I have totally stripped it (see photo gallery) and upgraded the front susp to Shelby Specs, currently upgrading the rear, and have rebuilt the engine, painted it Ford Blue, with everything polished (intake, ford racing valve covers, water pump, brackets, fuel pump, air cleaner. It is looking great but I kept all the original/factory parts if I ever decide to go back stock... I think alot of it has to do with the PO. If its been butchered up, then go hog wild, but if its still near original keep it close.
Just my opinion..
Scott

·
Registered
117 Posts
These are my big big plans (on a little little budget)

Exterior:
Keeping it orginal, even replacing the vinyal top. It came with Krager rims, which I think make ANY 60's car look good. I'm sitting on the fence whether or not to send it back to it's orginal color, Wimbleton White.

Interior:
This is where I have no problem dropping some bank. I want it orginal, no custom gadgets, but it must be tight. Zero imperfections!

Driveline/Engine;
347 stroker kit, 9" rear end, and I think that the C4 ought to be fine, maybe rebuilt.

Suspension:
Nothing too fancy, new shock, coils, squeaky detiorated rubber parts, etc.

Oh wait, the topic is "How far from stock DID you restomod your Cougar." DID? I took off that IMCO thing from the air cleaner assemply. Someone moved the starter relay from the side wall to the wheel well wall. And someone removed the AC. I restomodded the spark plugs by putting in new ones...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Don't trash that smog equipment Show restorers will kill for that stuff...

Bruce

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I just saw the other thread started by Kitty, WOW, maybe people just are not mean to big guys? I hardly ever have that problem.(Thank God) What I always seem to encounter are the guys who give me a hard time for being a fan of just about every kind of vintage steel.(Even the AMX's) The cougar guys that I've met and know here I think they thought I was crazy till I brought my wife to the events with me, and she started to verify my stories about some of the events I havebeen involved with. As I got to know them better I felt more comfortable hanging around this crowd than most others. I belong to so many car clubs that I forgot who all I owed dues to last year! I dropped them all except one, LSCC... I gave that money to Logan, cause this is a killer site, with cool people who are willing to get "involved."

And now the update of plans:
Mrs C. and I have decided that since I cant afford the "hipo390project for the S-code Eliminatorthat I havallready sunk a ton of cash into, That I should use the Motor out of the Mustang(429 drag motor). Just think motorsport, I wont bore you with the details. I know there is a heigth issue coming with the swap. I love the Boss 429 scoops (taller) so I'm going to have two hoods; one Eliminator stock, one Boss scoop. I plan on useing the tremec 5-speed, lov the overdrive, cause I plan on driveing the snot out of this car when we finish it! I allready hav the replacement 390 on a stand in the garage(complete with the correct casting numbers) if I ever decide to do the concourse resto thing. But I doubt I ever will. I'm a big 460 fan.
The Eliminator is yellow and white. Jennifer has picked out some good looking leather for the int. yeah, I know white and expensive! but thats what she wants, and I did buy the car for her...
One last note about Cougar people. The Eliminator is in the driveway for the moment. I livout in the country. An Ol' boy that I have met on occasion drove by and saw it sitting there. So he stopped in and told me he still had his cougar in the barn. I said what! and he said yeah I have one... So I talked him into going and looking at it. Its weathered and aged some (I know how that feels) but a decent looking Blkack on Red XR-7 428 4-spd (CJ?) Ram Air, The rear tag says it has 389's! I was stunned!
I been living here all my life and havnever seen it before!
We talk all the time now, and that friendlyness is the point!
The people, you, me, them, IS the difference. I didnt ask acceptance, I was invited, and thank you all.
Im going now before I wear out my welcome
Be Coool shane:bandit: :evil: :pimp: :ylsup: :xoli:

·
Registered
794 Posts
My take on this, bottom line is to have fun. Each person has his/her vision of what they would like to do with the car.
Personally, I would not tub the rear of an XR7-G or GTE or something that rare.

For my Cat, I am not concerned in the least bit for keeping it stock. I can see some sort of EFI in my future along with a huge list of other mods to make it safer to drive.

I will keep the exterior and interior mostly stock looking, but the drivetrain and braking systems are another story.

Thats what I like and thats all that matters to me. If you want to keep your cat like it rolled off of the assy. line, great. As long as you have fun doin it.

Thats why we have our cats right?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts