Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either on the steering linkage or on the upper and lower arms. I am mostly just assuming because they are 43 years old they should be replaced? The steering was loose when I drove it home. The rubber is dry on everything. Some of the grease seals are cracked? Also how would you tell if the bushing in the front suspension, control arms need to be replaced?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You can have somebody wiggle the tire back and forth in/outward and watch to see if you have excessive play in them. Yours haven't seen alot of action from the sounds of that thing...but the stock ones didn't have grease zirks in them as far as I know. Just to help keep things smooth and tight you may want to go ahead and replace things with better components. Loose steering is kinda they way they are compared to modern stuff anyway - it's hard to judge it by comparing to your dd. There are adjustments to the steering box to help tak the slack out of it - but you may want to wait until you decide replace or not first. The upper control arms are the usual culprits for creaking/squeeking due to lack of lubrication. It's advisable to ad a greas zirk fitting in the them while you have it appart. It really helps a bunch!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts