Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out how to remove the 1/4 window chrome trim on my 67 and how to re-install it after. I bought a body assembly manual from MustangsUnlimited thinking that the answer might be there...WRONG. Does anyone have experience with removing and installing these trim pieces?? Are the pins in the back crutial or are they just for alignment purposes? Maybe I haven't looked at it long enough...Any help to this Northern Ontario boy would be appreciated!:1zhelp:

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Quarter trim removal

Bruter,

The quarter trim is attached as an assembly.

A stainless steel bracket [which has the outer beltline weather strip riveted to it] is attached to the quarter trim by three
pressed pot medal studs that are part of the chrome piece
itself.
You are lucky, Many times these pot medal studs
corrode or brake off leaving the quarter molding loose.
If this happens the bracket can be glued to the quarter
chrome.

This stainless steel bracket is attached to the car.
You must remove the inside Quarter upholstery panel and
paper water shield to gain access. Use a flashlight or a
trouble light and look up or feel, and you will find the hardware
that attaches the stainless bracket.

I will attach a Pic later today

Have Patience,

Catman

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That explains it!

Boy, you can't get any clearer that!! Thanks once again Catman!
So it looks like I don't really have to worry about the pins. Nothing a bit of 3M double sided tape can't fix. Now all I have to do is snap off the drip moulding to get access to the rivet. Things are progressing!!

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Hold on a minute Bruter,

Look at Pic 1 and 2. Do you see the three elongated holes
thru whats left of the belt line weather strip? That is where
it attaches to the car with three screws. You don't have to
mess with the outside drip rail moulding.

Just take off the inside upolstery panel and reach inside
and unscrew the three screws. Then you can remove the quarter chrome moulding, Then you can drill off the thee rivets to
replace the weather strip on the bracket. Leave the bracket
attached to the chrome!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Catman, what I was refering to was the one rivet that holds the chrome trim to the drip rail...picture one , the elongated
hole on the short curved end of the trim. Maybe there is a trick to drilling it out without removing the drip rail?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I stand corrected!

Well, I had a chance to remove the trim with no problems, there was no upper drip rail rivet as per the Ford diagrams. I guess a previous owner had removed them. Thanks for the info.

Now....on one trim bracket, a previous owner put a home (badly) made outside rubber "felt". I was planning to replace all of the weatherstipping but I'd just like to know from anyone who has already replaced the quarter window trim, in and/or out, how the aftermarket replacements attach to the trim bracket? It looks like the rivets would need removing and the new weatherstipping "re-riveted" in its place. Does the new rubber come with a bracket to allow for this? How does the felt attach to the inside panel? I guess this is the last piece of the puzzle!! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now...how to put it back!!

lol. Seriously though, any suggestions on the process to bond the trim back onto the stainless bracket? Epoxy, 3M tape, MIG?? Thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yes. Do what I did. JB Weld (A+B Putty) the sucker back together. Worked like a charm, I'd have to whip out my dremel to separate them again if I had to...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Logan...but I'm not familiar with JB Weld. Is this the stuff that has two color (epoxy?) putty that you knead and apply or is it the gel type epoxy in a tube that you mix and apply?? Any one better than the other??

·
Registered
96 Posts
JB Weld

JB Weld is a two part epoxy, but you will have two tubes instead of the syringe-looking device. Sold at Wal-Mart, KMart, anywhere they sell auto parts, etc. I used the stuff on my quarter window trim and it worked great. I scuffed the metal first to ensure a good bond. When I put the two pieces together, I pressed down on the JB Weld that came through the holes in the stainless steel. That acted as the head of a nail would. I clamped them together and left them alone for several days to ensure a tight bond (just to be on the safe side). The one thing I didn't do was screw the trim to the drip rail and I find that is important. The drip rail, quarter trim, and roofline metal all come together at the same point and usually pop out here. I am getting my trim rechromed soon and will take care of this problem. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Sorry! I missed the question! jmonfort is right. JB Weld is just a A/B putty. You take a bit of Putty A, and mash it into and mix with putty B (Kinda like playin with silly putty all over again). Use a rotary or otherwise rough up the surface where the original spot welds were, and slap a healthy hunk of putty at each spot. Mash your trim on so that the excess putty comes up through the hole, Use your thumb to spread out the ooze a bit so that it's larger than the hole it came through.

When it dries, you'll need to call superman if you ever want to take it back apart. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks........

I'll give that a try!! But before I do, I think I'll change the belt weatherstrip. Seems straightforward enough but if anyone did this already on a 67\68.... I would appreciate any tips!

·
Registered
96 Posts
weatherstripping

The belt weatherstripping that attaches to the car is easy. Just align the tabs to the holes in the car and push. The weatherstripping that attaches to the panels is another thing. If you want originality, you will have to attach the panel weatherstripping with the staples that should be provided in the kit. You can imagine what a pain that will be. If you don't care about originality, pop-rivet them into the panel and paint the rivets black to kinda hide them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's about what I thought it might be. How about the 1/4 windows?? Does the repro weatherstrip attach the same way as the original (rivets)?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got the weatherstrip kit( from an Ontario supplier!!) and it answered my question about the 1/4 window pieces....they use the same three screws that hold the trim bracket....pretty simple. And I used that epoxy putty....the stuff sure worked great!! Thanks again for all the help:D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts