Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm going to replace my turn signal switch and I've always wondered since I bought my 72 XR7 a few months ago if it's supposed to be a tilt steering wheel. the wheel wobbles a bit up and down and I've always wondered if somebody before me put a non-tilt turn signal switch on a tilt-wheel .
Anybody know if putting a non-tilt switch on a tilt wheel results in no-tilt with some play up and down? What should I do to tell if it's really a tilt-wheel??? can you tell visually before dismantling anything?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Hey Madman, you are down the road from me.

If you have a tilt column. Push the turn signal lever away from you. Towards the instrument cluster.

Sorry, can't answer the switch question. I am not that up on 71-3 Cougars.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I'm not sure

CougarCJ said:
Hey Madman,
If you have a tilt column. Push the turn signal lever away from you. Towards the instrument cluster.

Sorry, can't answer the switch question. I am not that up on 71-3 Cougars.
Do what he said I don't now 71-73 either but on a 69 If it is simalar or not.
Look in the door jamb, there would be 2 jamb switches top would be door jamb, bottom would be tilt wheel switch. At least on 69 it is.
Sorry if this doesn't help:rolleyes: I try if I can.
Good luck
Juls

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wrong switch???

Hi,
I guess I didn't explain well enough....I think somebody put in a switch that's not for a tilt wheel because there is a lot of up and down play in the wheel but it won't tilt if it's the wrong switch will it??? I'm looking for some way to identify a tilt wheel other than making it tilt, because I'm asuming the wrong switch will prevent it from tilting. The message about the two jamb switches makes me wonder what the second jamb switch is supposed to do for the tilt wheel???? I'm not talking about a tilt-away steering column just a tilt steering wheel.... Anyone know for sure????
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The second hinge pillar post switch was for the tilt actuator. Which we last saw on 1969 Cougars. Starting in 1970 when Ford went to locking steering wheels and keyed steering columns. Tilt columns still used the tilt cancelling cam which mounts to the rear of the steering wheel. I think that the tilts used a different switch for some reason as it needs this cam. Most likely it also has longer wires to allow the up and down action of the steering column. The switch would not be part of a mechanical tilt column which you might have. In other words, the switch has nothing to do with the mechanical action of a tilt column. Hope that some of this makes sense.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Pictures may help

Hey Madmanknot, my 70 has tilt steering column so here is a couple of pictures for you to compare to yours to see if there is an external difference. The tilt steering turn signal switch is definatley part of the opperation of the tilt steering release mechanism as you have to press the turn signal lever toward the dash to release the position lock in the steering column. The standard turn signal switch dose not have a pivot point that alows it to be pushed forward to activate the tilt lock release. Where as the tilt steering column signal switch dose have this ability. If you look closely at the pictures you can see thru the hole just ahead of the base of the signal switch lever,there is a pin at 90 degrees to the base of the turn signal lever just inside the outside cover of the column. When you press the turn signal lever forward this pin gets moved and releases the internal lock. Even if yours has the wronge turn switch in it you MAY (not sure about this) be able to reach in with a screwdriver and move that pin forward and release the lock and thus tilt the column. I have never had the lock apart so I cannot say exactly what it looks like inside. In the pictures (down-up-and straight) you can see the seem where the pivoting takes place. If you don't have that pivot point seem and you don't see that pin in thru the hole around the lever then you don't have a tilt steering column. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
That rectangular cover in front of the hole where the turn signal lever goes is another giveaway....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it!

Now I know what to look for .
Thanks for the pictures and the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I'm going to replace my turn signal switch and I've always wondered since I bought my 72 XR7 a few months ago if it's supposed to be a tilt steering wheel. the wheel wobbles a bit up and down and I've always wondered if somebody before me put a non-tilt turn signal switch on a tilt-wheel .
Anybody know if putting a non-tilt switch on a tilt wheel results in no-tilt with some play up and down? What should I do to tell if it's really a tilt-wheel??? can you tell visually before dismantling anything?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope this works for my fellow cougars. The tilt wheel lever is located beneath the signal switch, to tilt your wheel simply pull the lever towards the wheel and it will release the locking mechanism.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts