Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an electric fan on my 67 about a year ago.
Normally it works just fine but I've noticed that, when sitting in traffic, the temp gauge will start to climb quite a bit before the fan is turned on by the thermal switch.
I am thinking about installing a switch to turn the fan on manually so the heat doesn't get a head start. Maybe a simple toggle on/ toggle off button or something similar.
The interposing relay doesn't have power when the key is off so I don't have to worry about forgeting to toggle the fan off when the car is parked.
If anyone else has had this situation arise, how did you go about correcting it?

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
So I take it your fan controller is not adjustable?

The unit I have can be adjusted to activate the fans at various temps.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I did what you're thinking -- put a switch in parallel with the thermal switch. That way I could cool it down at the track as needed.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
because our 67 gt is driven by my wife ,i didn't want any outside switches---i bought the spal pwm system to run their dual 11"fan system---i fought the set up with the tech until i did two things:# 1---donot use the spal sensor---use the chrysler sensor they TRIED to copy---# 2 run at least a #4 wire from the neg bat terminal to the "chassis "ground they recomend---with these changes you can keep the car @ thermostat temp with the a/c on @95deg out side
doctordesoto

·
Registered
168 Posts
a adjustable thermostat mounted right to the radiator is the way to go! If you have a good charging system there shouldnt be any probablem with the fan rinning for a little while after its shut off ! restarting it with a cooled of moter is always a good thing!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
If you have a sensor in the manifold or somewhere on the engine you can install a sensor that cuts in at a lower temperature - you need to check out the parts book at the local auto store. An adjustable sensor from SPAL or Dakota Digital is a good idea but will cost a lot more than a suitable sensor. I ended up using a sensor from a Triumph Stag

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=403/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd641.htm

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
A lot of problems have popped up with FAN SWITCHES. Lots of bad info floating around, and a RELAY should be a main part of any fan switch system, IMO.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
When I installed an electric fan in my old F150, I used an underhood thermal switch in conjunction with a three-way switch in the dash: ON-OFF-THERMAL. Was very happy with that set-up. I normally kept it on the thermal setting, but was nice to be able to manually turn it on for hot weather, and turn it off on cold days when a fast warm-up and extra heat were desired.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A lot of problems have popped up with FAN SWITCHES. Lots of bad info floating around, and a RELAY should be a main part of any fan switch system, IMO.

Dale in Indy
+1
Running a fan (or any hi-amp draw) should be run through a relay with the thermal switch actuating the relay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts