Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 73 is getting new chrome; but I cannot figure out what the Ford manual means when they explain how to get this bumper off.

Anyone remember how to remove it?

Are there bolts inside of the trunk? I already have the lenses and bezels off, but am stuck at the lower rear valance and bumper.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know about the 73 but the 70 bumper is held on by 4 bolts accessable from inside the trunk. 73 may be the same.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I figured it out. I don't feel too stupid for asking though. There is a bracket at the rear of the valance panel, on each side. Each bracket has two long bolts (9/16"). Remove them both (4). Then inside of the trunk, there are two more with the same number of bolts. Remove them. Pull the bumper straight out a little until you find the license plate lamp wire. Disconnect the connector. Remove the bumper. Tada!

The lamp housings each have 4 bolts (1/2").

I am not sure why my paint instructor is telling me to remove my bumper as I don't gain access to any more real estate for doing so?!? I do have access to remove the lower valance though, so... maybe I'll take it off and paint it- no dents :beer:

·
Registered
389 Posts
a paint instructor SHOULD tell you to remove bumpers...and trim, and glass and door handles and lights and all that. nothing looks worse than a half painted car where things were just taped off...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts