Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if that is even how you spell it or what it is called. A couple pieces that I am replacing on the car were originally a brassy looking with a little red and green mixed in? Like on the Light sockets and also on the ends of the front brake hoses where it bolts to the car and the other end that bolts to the calipers. I am trying to figure out how to duplicate this color or coating as some of the replacement parts are silver instead. Thanks Harv

·
Registered
913 Posts
Harvey, Eastwood has a three step process, but it's still paint and looks like paint. The only way to get it right, is to have them plated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm guessing you're thinking of cadmium plating? I've heard the eastwood kit is not the greatest and that sending them out to get plated is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will look into that. ? One about working on the car. I am learning to use the computer better. still don't like it so much though. Wife lets me use it but I am not allowed to clean it or delete stuff. Caused a problem last time I was trying to help by deleting things that didn't seem to do anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can buy the zinc dichromate solution from Caswell and it works quite well but must be applied on freshly zinc plated parts, so won't help you with yours unless you have them freshly zinc plated (in which case maybe you should just have them zinc dichromate plated!). It is useful though on a restoration project where you can have pretty much everything zinc plated then dichromate the parts at home that need to be done this way, instead of having to segregate the dichromate parts from the zinc parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts