Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a beautiful, original 73 Q-code convertible. The heater core appears to be bypassed. I've purchased a new H. Core but I can not figure out how to get to the old one??? I would Greatly Appreciate anyones advice on this?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
352 Posts
Jeff,

Do you have a shop manual? That may help.

I searched Youtube, many folks post how-to videos for just about anything.

Here's one for a '71 Torino with A/C on Youtube (couldn't find a '73 Cougar)

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tim,
Thanks for that link. It does give me some help in seeing what I am actually removing. I do have a shop manual but it doesn't seem to have(or I couldn't find) the detailed info I need? I'm a dentist, not a mechanic; but I would still prefer to do this myself because this car is SO NICE that I'm afraid to let some shop guy just start ripping things out of the dash!

Jeff
p.s. How can I post a picture on here?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Jeff, give a Cougar parts place a call and order the seal kit for the heater plenum. After so many years, the foam seals are probably greatly eroded/decayed and need to be replaced.
It's only 20 or so bucks worth of parts and makes the work even more worthwhile since it helps restore proper function to heat/cooling vectoring for the unit.

Also, fill out your profile so we know where you are. Maybe you live next door and I could come and help.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
The information in the link is good.

I replaced the core on my '71 w/o a/c in a couple of hours.

One thing not mentioned is that you may find it easier to get access to the dash area if you remove at least one of the front seats.
Otherwise you'll need to be a contortionist !!!

The dash will pretty much come out in one piece.
I found it easier to remove the radio bezel, once you have the dashpad off, it'll be much easier to see what you're doing in there

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer to help. North Carolina and Massachusetts are pretty much next door;)
Jeff, give a Cougar parts place a call and order the seal kit for the heater plenum. After so many years, the foam seals are probably greatly eroded/decayed and need to be replaced.
It's only 20 or so bucks worth of parts and makes the work even more worthwhile since it helps restore proper function to heat/cooling vectoring for the unit.

Also, fill out your profile so we know where you are. Maybe you live next door and I could come and help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts