Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 2 or 3 months ago i was out looking for a car for my gf. ( my wife now). hit a junk yard that i knew of as a kid, luckily they had another yard in the back. full of old classics. got to looking around and out of the corner of my eye..... there she was. beggin me to rescue her from the depths of hell. heard it to the grapevine that the car had been sitting there for about 10 years. so after about amonth or two of haggeling finally got a price that i could live with. went down to pay for her and found out ...... abaded damn doesnt that suck. for the next week went out searchin all over north calif for a cat. one guy lured me about 200 miles away for a car that had nothing but quarter panels ( when i say nothing i mean nothing) and he wanted 300 for it . I wanted to kick his ... well nevermind. so i finally get back home and get it in my head to call dmv and see what the rules are for abaded cars. found out the vin wasnt even in the comp. woooooo hooooo i can buy it. went back to the junk yard the very next day and saved her from her ill fate, demolition. now after losing my first cougar to a chop shop i now have a second chance . but im gonna take my time with the restoration, cuz my truck needs attention (my boy). how did you get your car spill it .

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a '66 Mustang I dearly love, but I've worked on it long enough that I no longer drive it in the rain. I have a "rain car", but I wanted a classic to drive. Went looking for a '67 or '68 Mustang, but I couldn't find one that was a ready driver for a reasonable price.

Finally I thought about the Cat, which of course was a very similar car in the first years. Ended up finding a nice one in Arizona via the SoCal Cougar Club classifieds, had a friend in the area look it over, and a week later I was the proud owner of my Coug!

Still working on a name....

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i got mine through the nephew of the original owner. he worked with my aunt in Ventura and because of his wifes illness, he needed to sell the car. i was already looking for an early Cougar as my first car after going through the Mustang stage ( i wanted a red 66 with a black interior... until i saw that everyone and their momma had one -- no offense ) i saw that the Cougar was indeed a rarer car and one that seemed alot classier and unique than anything else ive seen on the road. my aunt had one back in the 70s ( yes, the same aunt that i got this one through-- a tiffany blue 67 i think..... don?? lol ) and now i am the owner of one. this is my first car, only car ( the 70 is scrap now ) and although it will not be my only car for long.. its still the last one that id sell. as far as the 70 i had... heres a linkfor the story on that... wait.. gimme a sec

ok heres the link.. hmm i need to update with the last pics of the car...... http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums...did=1814&highlight=abandoned+cougar+paramount

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had always dreamed of a 69 malibu for my "toy". Being in the military, I had decided to wait until I went back home to get it so I wouldn't have to drag it all over every time I transferred. In 1997 a guy I worked with was getting transferred from the east coast to the west coasthad this 68 Cat

·
Registered
175 Posts
Fat fingers

Anyway, he had this 68 Cat that he couldn't afford to take with him. The Navy will only ship one vehicle. The performance work that had been done on the engine had lowered the mpg to around 8 so he couldn't afford to drive it. I liked the car right off; it ran and sounded great, but had some quarter panel rust, torque boxes rusted out and the paint (harvest gold) was badly oxidized. He had the for sale sign on it for about 2 months with no takers so one day I told him that I'd make him a reasonable offer if it hadn't sold by the time he had to leave. A month later, 2 grand and the car was mine. I've since put about 1000 hours and another grand in it and the car is now purple. I still like it...

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Grandpa bought mine brand new. He paid cash for it right off the lot. He needed a car, with air-conditioning, to drive to visit my uncle in Idaho. After 10 years he bought a new car. I was 12 at the time. My dad talked grandpa into keeping the car so we could work on it as a father-son project and have it ready for me when I got my license. My grandmother was furious because she had to fend off offers daily from every kid in the neighborhood who saw the car and wanted to buy it.

So that's how I ended up a Cougar fan. I just happened to end up with whatever car grandpa bought for that trip.

Mark

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I caught the cougar bug when I was working in St. Pete, Fl. I worked at a used car lot where the owner and his family had 5 69 verts, all red but one, all windsors but 1 (1 390). At the time I couldn't afford a cat so a few years later when I lived in Ca. I saw a 69 bench with a wrecked door and a for sale sign. I still didn't have a lot of cash so I traded a midget for it. I still had a mgb, a new toyota truck and the 69. One night I was driving the 69 to work and it ate the distributor gear on the freeway. When I got back to the cat with a rebuilt dist the windows had been broken out and the dash was tore up where the stole the stereo. I was looking for parts in the recycler and found wvcat for a really cheap price and was going to buy it for parts but it was an xr7 and the 69 was a standard so I kept it instead when I moved back home to wv. My only regret is that I didn't keep em both!!!
John

·
Registered
633 Posts
A friend of mine saw an ad in the paper about an hour away from the house for 2 Eliminators. I was very skeptical that they were real Eliminators, however we ask a few key questions about the cougars and they sparked a fire, they had to be looked at for sure. That evening I drove down to see the cougars and sure enough there was a 428 "R" Code Eliminator sitting behind a 351 "M" Code Eliminator.

Kevin Marti Reports for validation and it was time to picked them up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Saw an ad in the local "Tradin' Times" for a '73 Cougar, decent shape'. Kid built it with his dad, dad dies, kid gets into drugs, sells car for drug money. Sad story, but I'm not shedding any tears.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Found my 67std in a tow yard. My 78 datsun b210 just wasn't cutting it. I went to the local tow yard an seen her there. Hood not closing all the way, one eye open and no brakes. I wanted her and that was that. The guy tried to sell me a datsun pickup and I had to say no way. Not only the Idea of owning a Cougar was a great thought, this was the first car I got well you get the picture. Love my car and I hope she stays with me till my grandson is old enough to drive. He's 1 1/2 so I have plenty of good years before he can drive.

Paul W. 67std

·
Registered
305 Posts
How I found mine...

My first Cougar I ran across by chance. One of my good buddies has a 69 as well. Well there used to be a guy that lived down the street with a 71, well one day my buddy came arcoss him at a stop light, they began talking about Cougars, and the guy mentioned that he had a 69 "sitting" in the back yard. Looking for a project, the key word was "Sitting". So I went to the guys house, and knocked on his door. I told him how I knew about the Cougar, and asked if he wantted to sell it. He said normally no, but he just got an out of state job offer, and took it. Said he was going to just take it to the junk yard. So a couple of days later, I was the proud owner of a 69 Standard for a mere $50!

My second 69 I came across also by chance. I was driving another freind home that lived a few cities over, and out of the corner of my eye, I caught a 69 sitting on the side of a house. So on the way back, of course I had to stop and ask if the owner wantted to sell it. He said egarly yes. So he started it up, and took me around the car, it was in very nice shape, and I asked why it was sitting. He said that his son used to drive it, but wantted a new car instead, so they just parked it. So a few days went by, and for $1,500 this time, I was again the pround owner of yet another 69 Standard.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
hey Minimum.. just out of curiosity, what are you gonna do with both Cougars?? one a parts car? or you gonna do the ones a driver ones a race car thing? he he

·
Registered
273 Posts
My cat came to me in a strange way...Sept 10 2001: I had an 1985 camaro v-6 that I wanted to swap a 383 into.. That did'nt happen....Sept 11 2001 enough said..Sept 24 2001: I was on a plane to destination unknown, length of stay unknown...Well the place was the Country of Oman and lucky for me the stay was only 62 days...Nov 11 2001: sold the camaro for 400.00 just to get rid of it...Dec 01 2001 I got home grabbed the paper and started looking for a muscle car. In the back of my mind I remembered a story a buddy of mine had told me while I was serving in the Marines. he had at home a 68 cougar XR7 and he swore that this car was the best ever...Well just so happened in the St. Louis MO paper was a 68 with a 351 cleveland, and also a 70 Torino with a cleveland I called both and the cougar called me first, So here I am....A proud cougar owner...My buddy was right.....And for 1500 bucks I could not pass the deal up, if the PO could see this car now he would probably want to buy it back for twice that.....Thanks for asking and reading as I ramble
Lance

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
When I was 15, my friend that had 4 67's, and worked on them with him, so I kinda new things about them. Fast forward to 1991, when I met my wife, she had a Plymouth Horizon, and I had a motorbike, and saw an add in the paper for a 70 Cougar, for sale or trade for small reliable car, her car wasnt reliable, but was small, so we phoned the guy up and ask to take a look at it. I wasnt really sure on what a 70 looked like, (never saw one before, but thought it would look like a 71 or so (big). We pull into the guys yard (farmer), and it was in the barn, as well as an old triumph bike. As we walked up, he was pulling it out of the barn, and it sounded sweet. The lights were closed, the scoop was nice with some stripes ending under it (side stripes were thrashed), even had spoilers. We looked at each other and got this cool felling go thru us, and thought at the same time, "we need this car". He asked if we wanted to take it for a drive, and we said sure. We went a block and that made us make up our minds for sure. We came back, and mentioned something about the gf car, and ask if we were thinking of trading it for the cougar. We said we didnt think about it, but maybe. He checked it over real good, and went inside. We drooled over the cougar, and he came back out and we ask alot of info on the car. It was booted off the road cuz of tires, brakes, and holes in the 1/4's. He did some body work ($hitty I might add) and didnt do anything to the tires or brakes, but the signals work and the covers go up after 4 days. It had black interior, a clock and tach, it was cool. We offered him the horizon for a straight trade, and said he'd think about it. We left our number and left. he phoned a few days later and ask if we wanna talk about the cars, and come up. We went up, and I headed right for his bike (I learnt on my uncles bonne) and he was a racer in the old days, and wants another bike one day, but needs a car for his wife, so she can just drive it wihout spending tons of money. I mentioned I had a 72 T500 Suzuki, and it had a fairing on it, and was a blast. Long story short, we traded my bike and wifes car for the Cougar. We drove it for about 5 years after fixing the brakes, and everything wrong with it, repainted it blue, and then got a few other cars, and just tore the car apart one day, and been apart since. Plans are to get it back together next year, and have it running for the 100th annivers. of FORD and drive it to shows with the Fairlane.

Rick

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I bought the first 68 Standard off a used car lot in N Calif. when I was 19 or 20. It had Diamond Tuck upholstery lol. Had it for several months and rolled it off the freeway coming home one late night from my girlfriends house. Took all of the good parts off it and gave them to my best friend to put on his 68 Standard. Come to find out the same girlfriend's grandmother had a 67 Standard in her driveway and needless to say I bought it for $1000. I didn't even know she had it. I drove that for many years and traded it for a brand new Datsun pickup (Stupid, Stupid, Stupid). My uncle had a 4 spd 68 and I asked him to sell it to me way back before I bought the first car and he would not. I went into the Marines in 80 got out in 87. I was at a family party and the very same uncle asked me if I still wanted his Cougar, of course I said "hell yes". I had the car in my garage for awhile and started buying many parts for it. In the meantime my 89 Mustang was stolen from my driveway. When the insurance paid up I started browsing the papers for a replacement and ran across a 68 Standard, I called for a look see. I met my wife there when we got off work. She got there before I did and told the old man "My husband will definitely want this car". Let me tell you, I was driving up the street and knew instantly I was going to buy it. I took all of the parts off the current car and put them on this one that I have now. It has been in my hands for 10 years and many, many people have asked me to sell it. "NO THANKS" is always the reply. My apologies for a long drawn out post. LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have always had my 67 fastback, it was the first car I owned since 1987. still own it. I have a good friend who is the local expert on mustangs, it's nice working with the guy and turns out to be a good friend. He has restored several shelbys, stangs and cougars(mostly for himself). The guy is great to be freinds with, nuff said. well one day he gives me the keys to a 69 mustang vert, 351w. I'm crusing it, and I say to myself I love being in the sun and cruising. Being a mustang guy looking for a project, I searched the websites, paper etc.. looking for a stang. THE PRICES ARE CRAZY!!!!!! well while searching, I found this ad for a cougar vert on a stang site. Talked it over with my friend, I never drove a cat before. He didn't own any in years, (well he confessed that he has an r code 69 xr7 tucked in the desert of N cali. although we both live in NY, he still needs to get it here.another story). he assured my of a great driving car. well bought the vert with just a few pics and a description. Had it brought up to NY from MD, changed a bent rod, and it ran. The car was in worse condition then described, so instead of driving it, I decide to do a full restore.It is a 390 with 4speed. Only 47 verts where made with a 390 4 speed combo. How many where marroon? I don't know. But I did know it deserved the proper resto its getting. I could never afford or willing to pay for a stang big block vert with a 4 speed. It will be a year 12/31. The car is being painted, I'm in the process of putting all the parts back to original condition. My friend jeff has donated several parts left over from previous cars, he has a ton of NOS stuff he his hoarding for his 69 if it ever gets here. but great reference for me. The site is probably my most valuable tools. I have located parts and services through mercurycougar.net. I have gotten all the info I ever asked for. Thanks!!! to view my current project go to my members gallery

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=566&cat=500&thumb=1

also is included the 69 mustang I drove that spurred my interest in a convertible. BTW if you have never been to Times Square at night with the top down on your classic, you havn't gotten the fullest experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
69SCODE said:
also is included the 69 mustang I drove that spurred my interest in a convertible. BTW if you have never been to Times Square at night with the top down on your classic, you havn't gotten the fullest experience.
I almost T boned a Ferrari 360 Spyder down Sunset Blvd in Hollywood once.. is that enough of an experience?? he he.. oh yeah... there is another Cougar i see alot out there too... a Seafoam Green 69 with a black roof.. anyone else ever seen this car out there? its near the Roxy and all those clubs.. almost every Friday its out there.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Six years ago, I sold a '56 Nomad(a divorce spite buy, I really wanted a '55) and was on my way to buy a '73 Mustang conv. but stopped on the way and ended up buying the first Cougar, a red XR7 conv. In the process of finding parts for the car,two '69 parts cars were purchased along with a '69 blue Eliminator. The Eliminator proved too big a project at the time and was sold. I was telling a person who has many '69-70 Stangs(40+) about the '73 Stang and was told" I have one of those and a '73 XR7". Bought them both and took the drivetrain(351 CJ 4 speed) and put it in theStang.(Cougar was trashed but only had 52,000 miles on it). Now it is a Gold Glow Coutang conv. All done but paint. I also found a '55 Nomad which has been put far back on the project burner with the Cougar additions.
Fast forward to last summer. In the span of two weeks, three more '69 Cats were purchased, two conv.'s and a std htp parts car which met a fatal end when a tree fell on it(49,000 actual miles and really was owned by a 93 year old lady,no lie)
The original red XR7 conv. now belongs to my son and is his first car and recently was shown at the Daytona Beach show (5,500 classic cars). We are having a great time and it started with an unintended purchase six years ago. My son and I both love the Cats and Cat owners are the best!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I found mine(Cougar #2)in the local paper. I originally bought her for parts, but decided that the parts car was better than the original project. The first cougar got stripped of all the useable parts and sent to the junkyard.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts