Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just from tearing mine down, I would say the rear valance was on when the body was painted. The fenders and doors were not, Trunk hinge bars were installed. I think the front fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid were painted separate.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The doors were painted on the cars and the rear valance was screwed across the back but hanging away from the 1/4's with out the threaded studs tightened up with the nuts.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The cars were unassembled (bare) but the trunk and doors were on, can't speak about the valences.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've seen paint patterns that suggest the rear window was not installed and the side window stop plates (the oval shaped plates painted body color) were laid in the rear window frame.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I've seen paint patterns that suggest the rear window was not installed and the side window stop plates (the oval shaped plates painted body color) were laid in the rear window frame.
On convertibles they laid the window stop plates (door and 1/4 in door jamb) on the mid cowl cover. My original cowl has the outlines of these.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
On convertibles they laid the window stop plates (door and 1/4 in door jamb) on the mid cowl cover. My original cowl has the outlines of these.
My 69 Eliminator was the same as Bobs' with the outline on the cowl area

·
Registered
391 Posts
That is a great video, and pretty unusual for the day, I would think.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
They weren't too concerned about safety much. Those painters painting all day with no masks, probably didn't live long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts